The Academic Enhancement Center offers placement-testing services to all undergraduate and graduate applicants. Applicants whose scores do not meet the minimum admissions criteria are required to take a computerized placement test. The purpose of this test is to place students at the appropriate academic level.
- Computerized Placement Test (CPT’s) Accuplacer (The College Board): This computerized adaptive test consists of three sub-tests: Reading Comprehension, Sentence Skills and Intermediate Algebra. All applicants are expected to write a meaningful, concrete, and well-organized essay with several paragraphs. First attempt for this exam is free of charge. Students can retake the exam once; retest fee is $15/section. All retest fee MUST be paid by cash or money order (payable to St. Thomas University).
- To practice for the CPT click on
- Graduate Writing Assessment: All graduate programs at St. Thomas University require a Graduate Writing Assessment as part of the admissions process. This exam consists of two sub-tests plus an essay pertaining to the student’s major. First attempt for this exam is free of charge. Students can retake the exam once, retest fee is $15/section. All retest fee MUST be paid by cash or money order (payable to St. Thomas University).
Other Exams Available
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP):
- CLEP is administered by the College Board and Educational Testing Service and coordinated by the Academic Enhancement Center. Students obtaining satisfactory scores can earn college credits. St. Thomas University is the only Open National Test Center within Miami-Dade County . All applicants (including non-STU and Bright Futures students) can take their CLEP examinations by appointment only. CLEP exams fee are $115/exam = $80-CLEP fee (Credit Card, Money Order or Check) + $35-Institutional fee (Cash or Money Order ONLY). For more information about CLEP, log on to the College Board website: http://clep.collegeboard.org/exam
- For St. Thomas University’s course equivalency for the CLEP exams, please click HERE.
- To apply, click HERE to complete the CLEP electronic form or call us at (305) 628-6797.
- DSST (formerly known as the DANTES Program):
- The DSST Program is a credit-by-examination testing program provided by Prometric Inc. Colleges and Universities use DSST to measure knowledge in a particular subject area. Based on the achievement of a passing examination score, candidates can receive college credit. Each institution determines its passing score requirements for a DSST exam. DSST exams fee are $115/exam = $80-DSST fee (Credit Card ONLY) + $35-Institutional fee (Cash or Money Order ONLY). For more information about the DSST, log on to:
www.getcollegecredit.com. Prometric and iStudySmart have partnered to offer proven study materials that help you prepare for taking the DSST exams; for more information, go to www.istudysmart.com/dsst.asp.
- For St. Thomas University's course equivalency for the DSST exams, please click HERE.
- To apply, click HERE to complete the DSST electronic form or call us at (305) 628-6797.
- Miller Analogies Test (MAT)
- The Miller Analogies Test (MAT) is a high-level, analytic ability test that requires the solution to problems stated as analogies. It is a reliable and valid test for qualifying candidates for graduate school. MAT exam fee is $85 (Cash or Money-Order ONLY). For more information about the MAT, log on to: www.milleranalogies.com
- To apply, click HERE to complete the MAT electronic form or call us at (305) 628-6797.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL):
- The purpose of the TOEFL test is to evaluate the English proficiency of people whose native language is not English. St. Thomas University ONLY administers the exam to candidates, we DO NOT release test scores, you MUST contact TOEFL to find out about your scores.
- For more information on the TOEFL exam, log on to: www.toeflgoanywhere.org
- To access the TOEFL iBT Bulletin, log on to: www.ets.org/toefl/ibt/about/bulletin
For more information about testing, please contact: Mrs. Tatiana Pullen, Testing Center Manager, at (305) 628-6797 or email@example.com