St. Thomas Law Connection
An E-Newsletter for Alumni & Friends
Volume I, Issue 3: December 2011
THE SEASON OF GIVING
Dear Friends of St. Thomas Law,
It may be hard to imagine that one gift can make a difference to the future of a law school. It can! Your gift, of whatever size, will send a message to our students, staff, and faculty that the alumni, alumnae, and friends of the Law School believe in what we do and support our mission. It will affect lives in many ways. Your gift to the Annual Fund will:
· Fund scholarships that make a legal education possible
· Support our advocacy training by helping our championship mock trial and moot court teams compete against other law schools in national competitions
· Enable us to bring in national and world-class speakers to supplement the training we provide. This year, for example, we were able to bring in US Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.
· Help students serve the community through clinics, externships, and our Pro Bono Leadership Program through which students provided over 15,000 hours of law-related community service last year
· Keep us relevant by supporting purchases of technology and electronic information systems to enable us to train students for a 21st century law, government, or business practice.
Every gift made to the Annual Fund is important and will go directly to supporting our talented students and academic programs. It has never been easier to give – please visit www.stu.edu/GivingtoSTULaw.
During this holiday season, please start a new tradition of giving and contribute to your alma mater today. We wish you and your families and loved ones all the blessings and joys of the season.
Douglas E. Ray Peter T. Kelly
Dean and Professor of Law Assistant Dean for Alumni Relations
SUPREME COURT JUSTICE ANTONIN SCALIA DELIVERS 50TH ANNIVERSARY CONVOCATION ADDRESS AT ST. THOMAS UNIVERSITY, RECEIVES HONORARY DEGREE
Celebrating its 50th Anniversary this year, St. Thomas University held a special academic convocation on November 15, 2011. The Honorable Antonin Scalia, Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, delivered the keynote address before a capacity-sized crowd of students and alumni, faculty and staff, members of the judiciary, and various South Florida community leaders at the University’s Fernandez Center for Leadership & Wellness.
THE NEW EXECUTIVE OFFICERS OF THE ST. THOMAS LAW ALUMNI ASSOCIATION
We are proud to announce the new executive officers of the St. Thomas Law Alumni Association.
REMINDER: WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 7: HOLIDAY RECEPTION FOR ALUMNI & FRIENDS
This Wednesday from 6 to 8 PM at Blue Martini in Miami, St. Thomas Law is hosting a holiday reception which will benefit Toys for Tots. We encourage alumni and friends to either donate a small toy or make a contribution upon entering. This holiday benefit is being sponsored by the St. Thomas Law Alumni Association and three alumni: Joshua Hertz, Esq. ’01, Carlos Santisteban, Esq. ’09, and Edward Tapanes, Esq. ’02. Come meet the new executive officers of the St. Thomas Law Alumni Association at this event! To RSVP, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
“ST. THOMAS LAW ALUMNI” ON FACEBOOK
Join us! Click here to join.
View previous Alumni E-Newsletters here.