The Office of Career Services is dedicated to assisting St. Thomas University students and alumni in attaining their career goals. Students who visit Career Services early-on in their pursuit of a degree learn about a variety of methods useful in making career decisions. The office staff specializes in combining one-on-one career advising with the latest in career-related technology, including an internet-based system for professional, internship, and part-time openings and resume referrals.
Career Services fosters relationships with employers to facilitate employment offers to students and alumni for full-time, part-time, and internship opportunities. Additional Services available to students include:
- Student Self-assessment: To identify the student’s interests, abilities, and work values
- Job search assistance: Providing guidance for resumes, cover letters, and interviews
- Internships and Experiential Learning: To enhance a student’s marketability and develop valuable skills
- Career Expos: Career Services facilitates face-to-face interviewing and networking opportunities between students/alumni and employers. On average, 50–60 employers attend bi-annual Career Expos (fall and spring semesters)
- Career Resources: Giving access to the What can I do with this major?, program, which contains information for students and graduates about the employers and positions available in a chosen field
- Career Workshops and Class Visits: Teaching career topics including The Career Planning Timeline, Resume Writing, Interviewing Skills, Networking, Skills Employers Seek, Cover Letter Writing, Going to Graduate School, and more
- Mock Interviews: Allowing students to practice their interviewing techniques and receive on-the-spot feedback in preparation for the “real” thing
- Mentoring Program: Career Services is in partnership with the NSHMBA (National Society of Hispanic MBAs), which offers the L.I.F.E. (Latin Initiative to Foster Empowerment) program
Career Services is located in the Student Center and is open Monday-Friday from 9am – 5pm.
For more information, call 305-628-6577