Fernandez Family Center Policies and Procedures
General Policies and Procedures
Fitness Center Policies and Guidlines
General Policies and Procedures
- Proper identification is required to enter the building at all times (St. Thomas University Photo ID) FFC staff reserve the right to request additional identification information at any time.
- Please consult physician prior to engaging in any physical activity. The Fernandez Family Center and St. Thomas University are not responsible for injury or accidents due to the nature of the physical activity.
- Food and drink are restricted to the snack/wellness bar, adjacent seating area and mezzanine catering area. Water in closed plastic containers permitted in all other areas of the facility.
- Smoking and smokeless tobacco are not permitted anywhere in the building.
- Alcohol and drug use is prohibited and violators are subject to St. Thomas University disciplinary procedures.
- Animals are not allowed in the facility, except those aiding persons with disabilities.
- Proper recreational sports attire must be worn at all times. Street shoes or other shoes suspected of marking or damaging floor surfaces are not allowed.
- Profanity or abusive language will not be tolerated. Mature and respectful conduct is expected and required at all times. Sexual or ethnic harassment of patrons and/or employees will not be tolerated. Violators are subject to St. Thomas University disciplinary procedures and/or legal process.
- Martial arts weapons are prohibited.
- Injuries, accidents and equipment failures need to be reported to facility director.
- The Fernandez Family Center and St. Thomas University are not responsible for lost or stolen articles. Please lock all valuables securely.
- Use of the Fernandez Family Center facility is considered a privilege. All patrons must comply with Fernandez Family Center staff directives. Individuals not in compliance with facility policy will be asked to leave and may be subject to university discipline.
- Non-marking athletic shoes only.
- No dunking or hanging on rims or nets is permitted.
- No kicking or throwing of a basketball and/or other equipment towards the ceiling and/or track.
- Volleyball and basketball standards will be set up and taken down by the Wellness Center staff only.
- Guests are not to turn on the lights or tamper with the panel boxes. Requests or problems should be referred to the Welcome Desk.
- Limited equipment is available for checkout at the Welcome Desk, with proper identification. If equipment is not returned, the Wellness Center staff will assess the cost of the equipment to the student’s account.
- Open recreation basketball and volleyball have court priority, with the exception of events scheduled by FFC staff.
- No food or beverages allowed.
Use of informal activity spaces when not scheduled/reserved (including priority scheduling) is first come, first serve.
- All students, faculty and staff wishing to checkout equipment MUST present St Thomas University photo ID.
- Guests are not allowed to checkout equipment.
- Borrowed equipment may NOT leave the facility.
- Please note that patrons signing out for equipment are responsible for any damages or theft of the equipment.
- All equipment must be returned prior to closing time.
- All equipment is on a first come first serve basis, NO reservations.
Fitness Center Policies and Guidelines
- All participants must be 18 years of age or older or accompanied by a personal trainer/coaching staff member.
- Must present St. Thomas University photo ID to enter.
- All personal trainers must be hired through St. Thomas University.
- Appropriate athletic attire must be worn at all times. Generally, this consists of closed-toe athletic shoes, athletic pants or shorts and a t-shirt, sweatshirt or tank top. Patrons are not allowed to exercise in jeans, dress pants, button-down shirts, skirts, dress shoes or open-toe shoes.
- Patrons should use extreme caution in lifting weights to avoid any potential injuries to themselves or others.
- All dumbbells and weights must be returned to the appropriate storage area after use.
- Use of weight collars is required at all times.
- Chalk is prohibited.
- Water in a closed container is the only drink permitted. No food is permitted.
- All patrons must wipe down the equipment with a towel/wet wipes after use. Please be considerate to other patrons.
- All equipment must be used in the manner for which it is designed. Do not attempt to modify equipment.
- Standing on benches or equipment frames is prohibited.
- Personal belongings must be kept in a locker. The staff is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Spotters are recommended on all lifts.
- Do not attempt to use equipment if unfamiliar with the proper use. Please seek Fitness Floor Supervisor for assistance.
- Do not drop the weights. Also, do not prop the weights up against the walls, mirrors or pillars.
- Top loading additional weight onto the weight stack machines is prohibited.
- All equipment must remain in the area it was placed. Do not move equipment from one location to another.
- Use of cardiovascular machines is limited to 30 minutes (unless no one is waiting for that machine).
All participants, students, faculty and staff must present proper identification upon request. NO ID, NO ENTRY, NO EXCEPTION. ID cards will be confiscated if presented by any person other than the rightful owner. Proper student ID must be presented before participation in all activities. If you do not have an ID card please make your way to the Bobcat Enrollment Center or call 305-474-6900.