Academic Training (AT)
Academic Training (AT) is work, or training that is directly related to a student’s program of study. When the application and approval process has been followed and submitted within a timely manner the academic training can involve sequential or simultaneous activities, and is not limited to one employers, provided the training does not exceed time limits. ISSS facilitates the application process, and final authorization. Eligible students must submit the application at least three weeks prior to the program completion date.
Schedule an appointment with the ISA and bring the following documents to your appointment:
- Valid passport
- Form DS-2019
- Academic Training Application completed by Academic Advisor or Dean
- Official academic letter that outlines the goals and objectives of the proposed training program; how the training is related to the student’s program of study, and why it is an integral part of the student’s program of study.
- A job offer from the prospective employer which specifies the following:
- Physical address of the employment
- Supervisors Name
- Description of training program
- Start and end dates of employment
- Number of hours per week
- Complete the online Academic Training Evaluation upon completion of the training.
- Degree seeking students are limited to 18 months academic training.
- Students for postdoctoral training after completion of a U.S. degree are limited to 36 months in 18 months intervals. A new DS-2019 is required for the second 18 months.
- Non-degree students are limited to 24 months, which includes all study time and the authorized academic training.
- The total period of authorized academic training may not exceed the time enrolled as a full-time student.
- Students interested in academic training are required to have an offer prior to the program completion and training must begin within 30 days after program completion.
- Academic Training is considered full-time, even if employment is on a part-time basis.
ISSS authorizes AT provided eligibility is established, ISSS notes AT authorization by letter, and notation on DS-2019 if new form is needed; no Employment Authorization Document card from Immigration is required.