Once admitted you will receive along with your I-20/DS-2019 important pre-arrival information.
- Make sure your passport is valid. Passports must be valid at least six months beyond the date of expected stay.
- Arrange housing at St. Thomas if you plan to reside on campus.
- Review immigration requirements at St. Thomas.
- Plan your arrival at least one day prior to orientation.
- Complete the New Arrival Notification Form.
- Organize your finances. Fifty percent of your tuition and fees are due at the time of registration.
Students Coming from Overseas
- Pay the SEVIS I-901 Fee once you receive you I-20/DS-2019 and obtain a payment receipt. (Not required for students eligible for a SEVIS transfer.
- Apply for an F-1/J-1 visa if you do not have a valid visa. (Canadian citizens are exempt from this requirements).
- Read information about traveling to the U.S.
- Make travel arrangements. F-1/J-1 students with an initial attendance I-20/DS-2019 may enter the country up to 30 days prior to the start date noted on the document.
- Check the airline for luggage regulations and fees.
- Obtain helpful financial information provided by the U.S. Department of State.
- Read about the items that are prohibited and/or restricted by U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
F-1 Transfer Students
- Read the Transfer Student Fact Sheet. If you are not currently in legal F-1/J-1 status and are not eligible for a SEVIS transfer, contact the ISSS to discuss your options.
- Once officially admitted to St. Thomas have the international student advisor from your current/previous school release your SEVIS record to St. Thomas.
- Complete the SEVIS Transfer Eligibility Form with the international student advisor from your current/previous school and forward it to St. Thomas.
- Arrange to have your official, final transcripts from your current/previous school sent to St. Thomas.