Optional Practical Training
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is employment available to F-1 students. The employment must be directly related to the major program of study.
ISSS facilitates the OPT application process, however final authorization is processed through Immigration (USCIS). It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that the application is submitted at least three months prior to the requested OPT start date.
- Pre-Completion OPT: is used prior to completion of degree. Normally it is part-time employment, and can only be full-time while classes are not in session.
- Post-Completion OPT: is used after completion of degree. It is issued only as full-time employment.
Hours and Restrictions
- Have been maintained legal F-1 status for at least 9 consecutive months or one full academic year.
- Have not used full-time CPT for 12 months or more.
- Apply within 60 days of completion of degree.
Changes to OPT
- Employment on OPT must be directly related to your major program of study and commensurate with your educational level.
- You may not accrue more than 90 days of unemployment during your 12 months of OPT.
- Total OPT time per degree level is 12 months; the 12-month allotment per degree level may be divided into various segments.
- Example: Bachelor student who completes 3 months Pre-Completion OPT during one summer is eligible for 9 months remaining after program ends.
- Example: If the same student then begins a master’s in the U.S., he is eligible for a new 12 month period of OPT. Any unused OPT time from the previous degree level does not carry over to the new degree level. OPT is not cumulative.
- Part-time OPT is authorized for up to 20 hours per week; Part-time OPT is reduced from the 12-month limit at 50%.
- OPT start date must begin within 60 days of completion of program (this is not necessarily the same date as graduation day).
- During full-time OPT, you may enroll in classes that are “incidental” to the employment
- Do not begin a new program of study while on OPT.
- Changes to the OPT start and end dates are difficult. Please be certain of your anticipated employment start and end dates prior to attending an OPT Workshop Session.
- Changes may delay receipt of the EAD. Cancellation of the OPT application must be submitted prior to issuance of the EAD; application fee will not be returned.
- Job change is possible.
- OPT is not employer or location specific.
- Submit change of address to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete and submit OPT Employment Information Form