Lectures and Consultations
According to regulation 22 C.F.R. § 62.20(g), exchange visitors in the “professor”, “research scholar” and “short-term scholar” categories may participate in an occasional (single event or activity) lectures and short-term consultations, if authorized by the sponsor: St. Thomas University hosting academic school or department and ISSS. Authorization must be provided prior
to the start of the event or activity.
Occasional lectures or short-term consultations must:
- Be directly related to the exchange visitors current program objectives
- Be incidental to the primary activities of the exchange visitor
- Not delay the exchange visitors program completion date
- Be documented in SEVIS
The following letters must be submitted to ISSS prior to any engagement in activity:
- A letter from the institution, agency, or employer where the services will be performed. Letter must be on official letterhead and include the start and end date of the service, number of hours, field or subject, and description of activity.
- A letter of recommendation from the exchange visitor’s host academic school or department from St. Thomas on letterhead explaining how the proposed activity would enhance the exchange visitor’s program, confirming that the proposed activity is incidental and that participation will not delay completion of the exchange visitors program.
If approved, ISSS will provide the exchange visitor with written authorization to participate in the activity, and will also document the new activity in SEVIS (government database).