Spouses & Children

Definition and Application
F-1/J-1 visa holders must be able to establish with satisfaction to the consular officer and the immigration officer at the port of entry the dependent status of their spouse and unmarried minor child(ren).  The F-1/J-1 visa holder must provide:
  • A legal marriage license for the spouse and the birth certification for each unmarried minor child
  • Sufficient funding to cover expenses or documentation that other financial arrangements will be provided to cover expenses while in the U.S.
  • Demonstrate the intent to depart the U.S. upon the termination of the status of the F-1 or J-1 visa holder

Dependents that plan to enter the U.S. on either an F-2 or J-2 visa must complete and submit the following materials to ISSS:
  1. Dependent Application 
  2. Marriage Certificate (if dependent is spouse)
  3. Passport ID page(s) for each dependent (spouse and/or unmarried minor child(ren)
  4. Proof of Financial Support

Family members who would like to visit as tourist on a B visa may request an invitation letter from the ISSS and must complete and submit an Invitation Letter Request

All dependent(s) will be required to maintain health insurance. 

Eligibility of Study
F-2 dependents are not eligible for study with the intent of earning a degree.  They may enroll part-time for recreational or vocational purposes.

J-2 dependents are eligible to enroll as full-time degree seeking students and may also enroll as part-time students.