F-1 and J-1 Students
Thursday is travel signature day (no appointment is necessary). Complete the Travel Signature Request form and leave your I-20/DS-2019 document in the Office wall pocket with or the receptionist. You will receive an email notification when your document is ready for pick-up. Allow five (5) days for processing.

F-1/J-1 students in pursuit of a full course of study who wish to leave the U.S. and return after a temporary absence of five months or less may do so with the following:
  • Valid passport (6-months in the future)
  • Valid F-1/J-1 Visa (unless exempt from the visa requirements)
  • Form I-20/DS-2019 properly endorsed for travel by ISSS within current term

The I-20 and DS-2019 both indicate that the travel endorsement signature is valid for up to one year however the ISSS recommends that students obtain the travel signature during the current semester to indicate they are in status. If you have encountered difficulty re-entering the U.S. or have ever applied for reinstatement, it is advised that you obtain a new signature from ISSS and to request an official transcript from the Office of Records.

F-1 Students on Post-Completion Optional Practical Training (OPT) 
F-1 students in their last semester who have applied for post-completion OPT may travel outside the U.S. and return after a temporary absence with a valid passport, valid visa, and valid I-20 form endorsed for travel.

F-1 students who are engaged in OPT after completion of their program of study who travel outside the U.S. temporarily (less than 5 months) can be readmitted to resume employment for the remainder of the OPT period authorized on the EAD card, with the following documents:
  • Valid passport and F-1 Visa
  • I-20 form signed for travel by ISSS within the last 6 months
  • An unexpired EAD card (approved employment authorization card)
  • Letter of employment to prove resuming employment

Dependents must also have their I-20/DS-2019 endorsed for travel as well.