Visa and Immigration Information

Students and Scholars who are outside the U.S. must take their I-20 or DS-2019 and passport to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate nearest to your current residence and apply for either an F-1 or J-1 visa. The visa is a stamp (or sticker) that is placed in your passport by a consular officer.  This stamp permits your entry to the U.S. 

All dependents accompanying the student or scholar to the U.S. are required to accompany you at the Consulate with their spouse or dependent I-20 or DS-2019 and passport to apply for an F-2 or J-2 visa.

Additionally, you will be required to provide proof of financial support for the entire time you and your spouse/dependents will be in the U.S., as well as evidence that you are maintaining a residence outside the U.S. to which you intend to return upon completion of your program.