Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to be admitted to St. Thomas University first before I apply for on-campus housing? 
YES, before your application can be accepted for on-campus housing; you must first be admitted to the University as a student. 

When and how will I find out where I am going to live?
Your housing assignment will arrive in the mail during the summer. All other assignments will be made on a continuous basis; there is generally a four to six week turn-over-time.

May I see my room before I move in?
Since the residence halls at St. Thomas University are in use year round, it is not possible to see your room. However, the Office of Admissions has guided tours throughout the year, and would be able to show a hall.

Who is required to pay a housing deposit? 
Each student who lives in on-campus housing is required to pay a non-refundable housing deposit of $250.00. If no space is available for the Academic Year you applied, your deposit will be refunded in full.

Can I cancel my Housing Contract? 
Once signed and returned, the Housing Contract represents a legal, binding document for the duration of the academic year. Unless you a graduating student, are enrolled in an approved, University-sponsored study abroad, or other qualifying activities (as per contract terms), you are subject to a contract cancellation fee.

What size are the beds?
The majority of the beds in the residence halls are extra-long twin beds.

Are there laundry facilities in the halls?
Laundry facilities are available in each residence hall. Student laundry cards are available In the Campus Life office located in the Student Center. Students must bring their own laundry detergent and other supplies.

What are the housing rates? 
The housing rates change yearly. For the most updated rate contact the Residential Life office, located in Donnellon Hall 102, or by calling 305-628-6554, or emailing us at

May I be assigned a single room? 
Single rooms may be requested, but are limited. Most new students are assigned a roommate at the beginning of the year. Upper-class students, graduate students and Law students are assigned single rooms before freshman and sophomores on a first-come first-serve basis.

Do I need to be on the meal plan? 
Yes. All residents are required to be on the meal plan, which is included in the housing cost.

What activities are there on and off campus? 
The Campus Life office, through Campus Activities, SGA and the Student Organizations, plan a host of fun and interactive free events regularly. Check the bulletin boards around campus and your STU email account for advertisements.

Is there a deadline for signing up for housing? 
Housing deposits are due when the housing application/agreement is submitted. The earlier you return your Housing Contract, $250 Housing deposit, the more likely you will receive one of your preferred assignment locations. Any applications not accompanied by a deposit will not be processed.

Who can I talk to if I’m having a problem with my roommate? 
If you are having a problem with your roommate or with another member of your suite or apartment, you should talk to your Resident Advisor (RA). Your RA lives on your floor o has been carefully selected and trained to assist you throughout the academic year. Very often the RA will talk with their supervisors and help resolve your problem, usually with a meeting of all parties involved. It is important that you maintain an open line of communication with your roommates so that you can talk about problems you may be having. We expect our residents to treat each other as adults and discuss their differences openly. That is the first step in resolving differences.

If you continue to have problems, and have worked initially with your RA you may next contact the Residential Life Office. The full-time, professional staff members can assist you in taking additional steps. 

What if I want to change my housing assignment? 
A room transfer freeze period is in effect from the time your initial assignment is made until three weeks into the fall semester. The Fall Freeze allows us to locate all available spaces. You may complete a Room Transfer Request Form - found at the Residential Life Office. 

Can I stay in my room during University holidays and break periods? 
You cannot stay in your room during Winter Break (between Fall and Spring semester) as the University is closed. You can stay in your housing assignment during all other holiday periods including but not limited to Thanksgiving, Spring and Easter break. 

Students who plan to leave campus during breaks and University holidays do NOT need to remove their belongings. We do ask, however, that they empty their refrigerators (to avoid spoilage) and power off electrical items such as televisions, computers, etc., during longer times away from campus.

What are the room dimensions for the buildings?
Each University Inn room is approximately 12”5’ x 25 
Each Donnellon & Cascia room is approximately 16” x 12”

Are pets permitted in the residence halls? 
The presence of animals within University housing poses serious health, safety, and maintenance risks. In addition to direct damage incurred by animals, many students have allergic reactions as well. Further, damage and/or problems may become residual, posing difficulties for subsequent residents. Therefore, animals of any kind- —except for harmless fish in an aquarium, not to exceed a 10 gallon capacity per room - are prohibited on and within any room or property. 

May I have appliances in my room?
Students may have small appliances, such as microwaves and refrigerators should be 3.6 cubic feet or smaller and should have a maximum of 400 watts at 120 volts. Microwave ovens should be 1.5 cubic feet capacity or smaller and should have a maximum of 1100 watts at 120 volts. However, students may not cook in their rooms using equipment which either produces an open flame (camp stoves, Bunsen burners, potpourri burners) or contains an open coil (stove burners.)

Are the rooms carpeted?
There is no carpeting in student rooms in Donnellon, Cascia Hall and the University Inn. There is carpeting in Villanova Hall. You may feel free to bring your own throw rug for additional comfort.

Are telephones provided? 
Telephone service is provided to each student room. This service provides unlimited local access calling. You must provide your own phone. Standard services include the internal voice mail system of the University, which allows students to establish their own voice greeting, passcode, and message.  You can activate your voicemail service by emailing  

Is there internet access?
Yes, the University provides FREE, high-speed Internet access in the residence halls.

Can I hook my television up to a cable-TV connection? 
Yes. Currently STU has a contract with Comcast Cable Television for general programming, at no additional cost to you. No “premium” channels or satellite dishes are available.

Where should my parents and friends send letters and packages?
All on-campus students must a mailbox in the Mail and Copy Center, located in Lewis Hall to receive mail. U.S. mail, UPS packages, and the like, will not be delivered directly to your room. Students may utilize the Mail Room to send letters, packages, etc.

What do you suggest I bring with me to campus?
We suggest strongly that you bring your computer, bedding and clothes. However, for larger things like televisions, stereos, personal phones, we suggest you wait and get to know your roommate. It could be that you make a laundry list of things each of you will return with from Thanksgiving Break or have parents ship larger items to you later. Our room sizes are limited! Some of them very much so! They were designed, largely, 30 or more years ago before average students even owned televisions, much less stereos and computers. You can purchase microwaves and knee high refrigerators in multiple locations in Miami. Miami is a big city with all the shopping privileges that comes with it. If you are going to shop, wait until you check in and meet your roommate!