Dr. Maria Dolores Espino
Professor of Economics
PhD, MS, BS, Florida State University
Since 1999 Maria Dolores Espino has been Professor of Economics at St. Thomas University in Miami, Fl. From 1985 to 1994 Dr. Espino was Assistant Professor of Economics at Florida International University. In 1994 she received a Fulbright Scholarship to teach and conduct research at the Universidad de los Andes in Bogota, Colombia. After concluding that, she stayed on the Universidad of the Andes with a joint appointment in the Faculty of Economics and at the Center for International Studies.
Dr. Espino is strongly involved in the community: She serves on the board of Citizens for a Better South Florida, a non-advocacy environmental education non-profit whose main purpose is increase environmental awareness among South Florida’s minority communities. In 1994 Dr. Espino was appointed by Governor Chiles to serve on The Governor’s Commission for a Sustainable South Florida, tasked with recommending strategies to ensure a sustainable South Florida economy that could co-exist with a healthy Everglades ecosystem.
In December of 2003 Dr. Espino was appointed by the South Florida Ecosystem Restoration Taskforce to serve on the Combined Structural and Operating Plan Advisory Team to provide recommendations to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for critical Everglades’ restoration projects. She also serves the Social and Economic Development Council to which she was appointed by the Miami Dade County Board of Commissioners.
- "Diaspora Tourism: Performance and Impact of Nonresident Nationals o Cuba’s Tourism Sector", in Cuba in Transition, Vol. 23, Association for the Study of the Cuban Economy, Washington, D.C. 2013, pp 416-422.
- "The Cuban Tourism Sector: A Note on Performance in the First Decade of the 21st Century", in Cuba in Transition, Vol. 20, Association for the Study of the Cuban Economy, Washington, D.C. 2010, pp 364-369.
- "Cuban Tourism: A Critique of the CEPAL 2000 Report", in Cuba in Transition, Vol. 11, Association for the Study of the Cuban Economy, Washington, D.C. 2001, pp 343-349.
- "Human Resources Demand for the Management of Natural Resources and the Environment in Latin America and the Caribbean", with Sergio Ardila in Environmental and Natural Resource Management Priorities for Latin America and the Caribbean, A.D. Tillet and Carlos Sere ed., LACRO Discussion Series: 4, Montevideo, Uruguay, July, 1995, pg.131-144.
- "Tourism in Cuba: A Development Strategy for the 1990's?" in Cuban Studies, Vol. 23, Pittsburgh, PA; University of Pittsburgh Press, 1993, pg. 49-69. Also in Cuba at the Crossroads. Jorge Perez-Lopez ed. University Press of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 1994, pg.147-166.
- "Environmental Deterioration and Protection in Socialist Cuba." Cuba in Transition, Vol. 2, Association for the Study of the Cuban Economy Conference Proceedings, LACC, Miami, FL, 1993, pp. 327-342.
- "Tourism in Socialist Cuba" in Tourism Marketing and Management in the Caribbean, Dennis J. Gayle and Jonathan N. Goodrich, ed., Routledge Press Publishers, London and New York, June, 1993, pp. 100-110.