Study Room Policy
Groups of STU law students may reserve study rooms for a maximum of two hours. An additional two-hour period may be reserved in the same room at the expiration of the initial period provided that no other group has reserved the room for the subsequent period.
Individuals may not use the group study rooms, except after 7:00 PM. At all other times, the minimum group size is two. Individuals may not reserve rooms, but may use unoccupied rooms after 7:00 PM unless and until a group reserves the room.
The Law Library has seven group study rooms. Rooms 1 through 4 are located on the east side of the second floor. Rooms 5 through 7 are located in the southwest corner of the second floor behind the computer lab. All rooms are subject to pre-emption by the Registrar’s office for exams. It can reasonably be expected that all study rooms will be unavailable between opening and 6:00 PM Monday to Saturday during midterm and final exams. The exact hours will be posted at the Circulation Desk during the relevant weeks.
From 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM, during finals, the Registrar’s Office has priority over the study rooms for exam purposes. Please be aware that students may be asked to leave, even if those students had reserved the room.
While talking is permitted in study rooms, it is only allowed to the extent that it does not infringe on the rights of others. Persons using the study rooms should refrain from excessive noise.
- To reserve a study room, sign up at the Circulation Desk on the first floor. .
- Rooms may be requested for the current day. No advance booking will be made for group study.
- Singles can not reserve a study room.
- All names of the group studying will be given at the front desk to reserve the study room. This will prevent individuals from signing up for a room. It also prevents individuals in a group from circumventing the 2 hour maximum by putting one name and then another name and then another, effectively blocking out a room for a day. Groups may ONLY reserve a room for 2 hours. If no group follows after the original reservation another may be made in the same room. Other rooms, however, may be reserved by the same group. Original time limits for reservations apply.
- Reservations are only held for 15 minutes. If your group has occupied the room within 15 minutes of the start of your reservation, it will be cancelled.