In December of 2003 Dr. Espino was appointed by the South Florida Ecosystem Restoration Taskforce to serve on the Combined Structural and Operating Plan Advisory Team to provide recommendations to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for critical Everglades’ restoration projects. She also serves the Social and Economic Development Council to which she was appointed by the Miami Dade County Board of Commissioners.
- “Diaspora Tourism: Performance and Impact of Nonresident Nationals o Cuba’s Tourism Sector”, in Cuba in Transition, Vol. 23, Association for the Study of the Cuban Economy, Washington, D.C. 2013, pp 416-422.
- “The Cuban Tourism Sector: A Note on Performance in the First Decade of the 21st Century”, in Cuba in Transition, Vol. 20, Association for the Study of the Cuban Economy, Washington, D.C. 2010, pp 364-369.
- “Cuban Tourism: A Critique of the CEPAL 2000 Report”, in Cuba in Transition, Vol. 11, Association for the Study of the Cuban Economy, Washington, D.C. 2001, pp 343-349.
- “Human Resources Demand for the Management of Natural Resources and the Environment in Latin America and the Caribbean”, with Sergio Ardila in Environmental and Natural Resource Management Priorities for Latin America and the Caribbean, A.D. Tillet and Carlos Sere ed., LACRO Discussion Series: 4, Montevideo, Uruguay, July, 1995, pg.131-144.
- “Tourism in Cuba: A Development Strategy for the 1990’s?” in Cuban Studies, Vol. 23, Pittsburgh, PA; University of Pittsburgh Press, 1993, pg. 49-69. Also in Cuba at the Crossroads. Jorge Perez-Lopez ed. University Press of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 1994, pg.147-166.
- “Environmental Deterioration and Protection in Socialist Cuba.” Cuba in Transition, Vol. 2, Association for the Study of the Cuban Economy Conference Proceedings, LACC, Miami, FL, 1993, pp. 327-342.
- “Tourism in Socialist Cuba” in Tourism Marketing and Management in the Caribbean, Dennis J. Gayle and Jonathan N. Goodrich, ed., Routledge Press Publishers, London and New York, June, 1993, pp. 100-110.