Founder and Director, Human Trafficking Academy
Member of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, The Vatican
J.D. (equivalent) University of Tirana, Faculty of Law, honors
LL.M., St. Thomas University School of Law, summa cum laude
Dr. iur., University of Potsdam, Faculty of Law, summa cum laude
Professor Pati is a tenured Professor of Law and teaches International Law, Human Rights Law and Human Trafficking Law. Formerly a Member of Parliament and a Cabinet Member serving as the Secretary of State for Youth and Women of Albania, Dr. Pati has a rich experience in public service and academia.
In August 2012, the Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI appointed Professor Pati to be a Member of the Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace, at the Vatican. She is the only Council member representing the United States.
In 2009, her doctoral dissertation was awarded the Wolf Rüdiger Bub Prize for the Promotion of the New Generation of Legal Scholars, by the University of Potsdam School of Law, Potsdam, Germany.
In 2010, she was the Commencement Speaker at the Luarasi University School of Law, Tirana, Albania, and also Visiting Professor of Law At the Romanian-American University in Bucharest, Romania.
In 2005, Professor Pati facilitated the preparation of The Miami Declaration of Principles on Human Trafficking, a set of law and policy recommendations, and she has made presentations on human trafficking in the capacity of an expert in several national and international symposia, conferences and seminars. She has lectured on issues of international law, human rights law, international criminal law, human trafficking law as well as democracy and the rule of law at several universities worldwide.
She is Executive Director of the LL.M./ J.S.D. Program in Intercultural Human Rights and she also directs the Human Trafficking Academy, a project that started with the sponsorship of a Congressional grant administered through the Department of Justice.
- Roza Pati, Wilhelm Kirch & Siegfried Wiessner, Handbook on Human Trafficking, Public Health and the Law: A Spring School from the New Heaven Perspective (2014, George Thieme Verlag).
- Roza Pati, Due Process and International Terrorism (2009, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers).
- Roza Pati & Joe Holland, eds., The New Dialogue of Civilizations (2005, Xlibris).
- Roza Pati, Human Trafficking as Modern Day Slavery: A Human Rights Approach, in The SAGE Handbook of Human Trafficking and Modern Day Slavery (2018, SAGE Publications).
- Roza Pati, People on the Move: The Vulnerability of Migrants and Human Trafficking, in Refugiados, Imigrantes e Igualdade dos Povos – Estudos em Homenagem a António Guterres (Pinto, Perazzolo et al, 2017, Quartier Latin Do Brasil).
- Roza Pati, The OSCE and the Conflict Cycle through the Prism of the Ukraine Crisis: What Went Wrong?, in Forty Years Since the Signing of the Helsinki Final Act (Institute for Comparative Law & INTERMEX, 2015, Belgrade, Serbia).
- Roza Pati, Trafficking in Persons and Transnational Organized Crime: A Policy-Oriented Perspective, in Handbook on Human Traficking, Public Health and the Law: A Spring School from the New Heaven Perspective 27 (2014, George Thieme Verlag).
- Roza Pati, The Categorical Imperative to End Modern-Day Slavery: Subsidiarity, Privatization, and the State’s Duty to Protect, in Der Staat Im Recht. Festschrift Für Eckart Klein Zum 70. Geburtstag, 1219 (M. Breuer et al., 2013, Duncker & Humblot).
- Roza Pati, Combating Human Trafficking Through Transnational Law Enforcement Cooperation: The Case of South Eastern Europe, in Policing Across Borders: The Role of Law Enforcement in Global Governance (2012, Springer).
- Roza Pati, No Cierre Sus Ojos: La Trata Existe–The Global Effort to Combat Human Trafficking: Its Strengths & Weaknesses, in Libro de Derecho Penal Especial (2012, Universidad Libre, Columbia).
- Roza Pati, Beyond the Duty to Protect: Expanding Accountability and Responsibilities of the State in Combating Human Trafficking, in The Diversity of International Law: Essays in Honour of Kalliopi Koufa 319 (Aristotle Constantinides, Nikos Zaikos, eds., 2009, Martinus Nijhoff Publishers).
- Roza Pati, Fair Trial Standards under Human Rights Treaty Law and the ICTY: A Process of Cross-Fertilization?, in ICTY: Towards a Fair Trial? 147 (Thomas Kruessmann ed., 2008, Intersentia).
- Roza Pati, Information About the UN Dialogue of Civilizations, in The New Dialogue of Civilizations 16 (Roza Pati & Joe Holland eds., 2005, Xlibris Press).
- Roza Pati, Human Trafficking in the Supply Chain, Corporate Social Responsibility and the State’s Duty to Protect Human Rights, 68 American University Law Review __ (forthcoming, 2019).
- Roza Pati, From the Graceful Sari to the Scourge of Dowry: Indian Women in the Crucible of Tradition, 8 Kerala University Journal of Legal Studies (2015).
- Roza Pati, Marshalling the Forces of Good: Religion and the Fight Against Human Trafficking, 9 Intercultural Human Rights Law Review 1 (2014). Also published as Blueprint, by Caritas in Veritate Foundation, Geneva, (Semptember 2014).
- Roza Pati, Human Trafficking: An Issue of Human and National Security, 4 National Security and Armed Conflict Law Review 29 (2014), a journal published by the University of Miami School of Law.
- Roza Pati, Domestic Servitude: A Contemporary Form of Slavery, 7 Intercultural Hum. Rts. L. Rev. (2013).
- Roza Pati, Trading in Humans: A New Heaven Perspective, 20 Asia Pacific Law Review 135 (2012).
- Roza Pati, Domestic Servitude: a Contemporary Form of Slavery, 7 Intercultural Human Rights Law Review 9 (2012)
- Roza Pati, States’ Positive Obligations with Respect to Human Trafficking: The European Court of Human Rights Breaks New Ground in Rantsev v. Cyprus & Russia, 29 B.U. Int’l L.J. 79 (2011). HeinOnline
- Roza Pati, Der Schutz der EMRK bei Menschenhandel: Rantsev v. Zypern und Russland, 2011 Neue Juristische Wochenschrift 128 (2011).
- Roza Pati, US Immigration Detention: Policy and Procedure from a Human Rights Perspective-Introductory Remarks, 5 Intercultural Hum. Rts. L. Rev. 5 (2010). HeinOnline
- Roza Pati, Schwierige Gratwanderung: Die international Terrorismus ist fuer die Demokratie eine grosse Herausforderung, Portal–Das Potsdamer Universitaetsmagazin, Jan.-Mar. 2009, at 28.
- Roza Pati, The ICC and the Case of Sudan’s Omar Al Bashir: Is Plea-Bargaining a Valid Option?, 15 U.C. Davis J. Int’l L. & Pol’y 265 (2009). HeinOnline
- Roza Pati, Addressing the Scourge of Human Trafficking: The Challenge Ahead, 1 Intercultural Hum. Rts. L. Rev. 75 (2006). HeinOnline
- Roza Pati, The Miami Declaration of Principles on Human Trafficking: Its Genesis and Purpose, 1 Intercultural Hum. Rts. L. Rev. 5 (2006). HeinOnline
- Roza Pati, Rights and Their Limits: the Constitution for Europe in International and Comparative Legal Perspective, 23 Berkeley J. Int’l L. 223 (2005). HeinOnline
- Roza Pati, Intercultural Human Rights: A 21st Century Challenge, Int’l Graduate, Vol. 6, at 38.
- Roza Pati, Responding to Modern Genocide: At the Confluence of Law and Politics. By Mark D. Kielsgard. London and New York: Routledge, Taylor & Francis, 2016. Pp. 255. 10 Reprinted in Changing Dimensions of Legal Horizon, (Majaraja Agrassen University, India, 2017).
- Roza Pati, Water: An Essential Element For Life. By Pontifical Council for Justice and Peace. Vatican City. Vatican Press. 2013. 10 Intercultural Human Rights Law Review (2015).
- Rosa Pati, comment, With Pope’s Challenge Comes Call for Attorneys to Fight Climate Change, Daily Business Review (july 2, 2015); also featured at “insights” on the Vatican website on Laudato SI avaliable at: iustitiaetpax.va
- Rosa Pati, Interview, Expert Predicts Pope Francis will mention human trafficking during U.S. stay: With talks to Congress and elsewhere, the pontiff will have several opportunities to discuss the “shameful plague,” Q&A with Roza Pati, The Florida Cahotlic (forthcoming August 2015)
- Rosa Pati, Interview, by Catholic News Service: In the US, many expect the pope to discuss the ‘shameful plague’ of trafficking August 10, 2015, also posted on: The Catholic Telegraph, The Monitor, or Catholic Crux (Boston Globe).
International Criminal Law
Human Trafficking Law
Human Rights Law
New Haven School of Thought
Human Trafficking Law & Policy
Introduction to Human Rights Law
Health and Human Rights