Driving In South Florida
Obtaining a Driver's License
To obtain a Florida driver's license, first schedule an appointment with the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
. To obtain a list of the required documents needed to apply for a Florida driver’s license, visit the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles' GatherGoGet Web
- Make an appointment
- Mid-month usually has more appointment time slots than dates at the first or end of the month.
- Avoid the lunch hour
- In the U.S. most people prefer to conduct business during lunch. If you lunch is the only time you have available it is strongly advised that you schedule an appointment.
- Scheduling an appointment
- Contact the location nearest to you. Only schedule an appointment at one location.
- Be prepared
- Bring all the necessary documents to avoid extended delays and frustration.
- Know office hours
- Most of the offices are open Tuesday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. As a result, the offices are busier on Tuesday and Friday.
- Renew early
- Renewals can be done 18 months before the license's expiration date.
More information for non-U.S. citizens is available by visiting the HSMV