Director of Musical Theatre
The Director of Musical Theatre is a 12-month, full-time position that reports through the Division of Student Affairs. The incumbent will be responsible for the overall development of the musical theatre program, including growing membership through effective recruitment and retention retain initiatives.
As a member of Student Affairs, this position incumbent will uphold the values of collaboration, professionalism, and community development through a student-centered approach. The work of this position will intentionally align with strategic division initiatives to advance the mission and vision of student affairs which results in student learning and support for students to grow as ethical leaders for the global community.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Directly responsible for the recruitment and retention of new musical theatre students.
- Recruit and develop a musical theatre cast using the scholarship award model developed by Admissions and Financial Aid; serve as the leader for the newly formed musical theatre program.
- Coordinate with Admissions and Financial Aid to follow through on all prospective students as they become applicants and subsequent matriculants.
- Select all music to be performed, in alignment with the STU mission, for the fall and spring semesters.
- Teach related courses as directed.
- Rehearse and prepare the musical theatre cast to perform a show run of one musical per semester, as well as a number of in-concert cabaret events.
- Hold auditions each semester to find the ideal cast role for each student.
- Supervise and direct all practices and performances of the cast.
- Develop intentional relationships with other departments on campus to increase campus life and promote the University’s strategic plan: Limitless.
- Collaborate with local high schools to create a recruiting funnel to the STU Musical Theater program.
- Make recommendations for the hiring of stage crew and musician contractors.
- Direct, supervise, and coordinate the work of the stage crew and musician contractors.
- Plan practice activities and performances of the cast in accordance with the University’s academic calendar.
- Submit a performance schedule to the Vice President for Student Affairs.
- Maintain accurate inventory of all musical and technical equipment, costumes, stage sets, and props used by the cast.
- Be responsible for maintenance, repair, overhaul, and storage of all musical theatre equipment.
- Follow proper procedures for all musical theatre deposits and expenditures.
- Keep accurate records of all receipts, deposits, and expenditures.
- Perform other Student Affairs related responsibilities as assigned.
- Serve as the manager for social media platforms concerning scheduled performances and accomplishments.
- Maintain a successful organization that melds with the campus community and is consistent with the mission of St. Thomas University.
- Experience with directing and building a musical theatre cast at an advanced level.
- Must possess the passion, skill, energy, and enthusiasm to build a Musical Theatre cast by recruiting new students with high levels of talent.
- College Degree preferred.
- Must be able to work under pressure, coordinate daily operations, and meet established deadlines.
- Professional appearance and demeanor with attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills needed to accomplish several ongoing assignments simultaneously.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting procedures required to budget and manage funds.
- Proficient computer and software skills are required.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with students, staff, and the community.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to prioritize a wide variety of diverse situations and changing priorities.
- Ability to perform duties with awareness of all university guidelines. Exhibit sound judgment.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Review of completed applications will begin immediately. Send cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three (3) professional references to:
MS Word or PDF attachments only.
St. Thomas University is an E-Verify® Equal Opportunity Employer.
All employees are required to pass a criminal background screening and official degree transcripts will be required upon hire.