Guardian Representative for Office of the Public Guardian
This is a highly responsible, grant funded position involving monitoring and coordinating the care of persons/wards under the guardianship of the St. Thomas University d/b/a Office of the Public Guardian located in Broward County. A person in this class serves as an advocate to the most vulnerable adults in the community and performs a variety of tasks requiring knowledge of guardianship law, social work practice, and student intern supervision. Local travel and field work throughout the area of assigned responsibility is required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Adhere to Florida Statute 744 and 765 in the provision of guardianship services by
- Providing case management services to assigned clients to include face-to-face monthly visits at clients’ residence/facility.
- Coordinating the development of 6-month reports, initial and annual plans on all clients to assure that all clients receive all services and benefits that they are entitled to receive.
- Attend and actively participate in care plans and support plan meetings to ensure that clients receive all services and benefits that they are entitled to receive.
- Locating and developing community resources available to meet client needs. Conduct on-going evaluations to monitor client progress and needs.
- Analyzing data to measure the effectiveness of community programs and/or services to meet client needs and identify the resources or adjustments necessary for effectiveness of program or services.
- Appearing in Court and presenting recommendations to the Circuit Court Judge and adhering to orders issued by the judge.
- Developing monitoring and compliance reviews as well as quality assurance techniques to measure quality and appropriateness of service delivery.
- Recommending dispositional alternatives for various cases as necessary.
- Serving on-call duty as scheduled by executive director. May be cross-trained and perform other related duties incidental to work described herein.
- Maintaining accurate and comprehensive records in accordance with Florida Statute
2. Performs all guardianship duties, including coordination and collaboration for service provision by:
- Following policies and procedures of the agency related to reporting, court compliance and documentation.
- Providing liaison with institutional and facility staff, medical staff, and various social service organizations to effectively meet client needs.
- Communicating detailed information via various types of secure communication formats to representatives of the Department of Children and Families, Social Security, Veterans Administration, as well as authorizes and consents to entitlement related functions. Responsible for all aspects of ward entitlement applications and maintenance including applications for Medicaid, Social Security and SSI benefits.
- Monitoring, tracking, and performing DCF interviews and redetermination requirements as needed and collaborates with Financial Specialist and Paralegal in this area.
- Completing required initial guardianship intake and preguardianship assessment to determine whether a referral is appropriate for the services of the Office of the Public Guardian.
- Completing required initial social, legal, and medical investigative work relating to court cases.
- Performing other related duties incidental to work described herein.
- Attending all required case reviews, staff meetings, staff trainings, and consultations
- Provide mentoring and related training to newly hired social work colleagues at the Public Guardian’s office.
- Master’s degree in Social Work or related field required.
- Minimum of 1-3 years’ work experience.
- Working knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures and ability to use in varied situations.
- Detail oriented with ability to multi-task.
- Advanced critical thinking skills.
- Assumes responsibility readily, seeking out issues and areas needing resolution and
- Knowledge of Word, Excel, Outlook, SharePoint, Guardianship Data Base
- Able to work with a minimum of supervision exercising good judgment to make decisions.
- Able to draft correspondence/memos, revise legal templates, and interpret guardianship statutes.
- Knowledge of Florida Guardianship Statute 744.
- Possesses a high level of integrity and inter personal skill necessary for dealing with all levels of the public, Probate Judges, court personnel, representatives from SSA, VA, DCF, Financial Institutions, family member/friends of wards, and facilities where OPG wards reside.
- Must pass a background and a credit check (prior to being hired) reviewed and monitored by the Statewide Office of the Public and Professional Guardianship and by the 17th Judicial Circuit.
- Must complete the 40-Hour Guardianship class and pass the state Guardianship exam within one year of employment.
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Davie, FL 33330: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Please provide contact information for three (3) professional references.
- Master’s (Required)
- Social work: 1 year (Required)
Willingness to travel:
- 25% (Required)
APPLICATION PROCESS: Apply on Indeed.com
St. Thomas University is an E-Verify® Equal Opportunity Employer.
All employees are required to pass a criminal background screening and official degree transcripts will be required upon hire.