Media Relations Writer
The Media Relations Writer is responsible for composing and overseeing written communication internally, and externally. The position will also handle communications to the media, including preparing articles, press releases, and other content initiatives. The position will cultivate and manage relationships with media reps, both traditional and digital.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare articles and press releases.
- Ensure the university protects and promotes its image and brand in a proper, coordinated, and consistent manner.
- Cultivate and enhance collaborative working relationships within the press and publicity community.
- Manage the flow of news about the organization to the media and community.
- Gather and disseminate timely information to press and staff.
- Create effective communication channels.
- Enhance effectiveness of press and publicity function.
- Develop relationships with national and regional press contacts to ensure the university reputation is promoted.
- Detect public relations issues as they emerge and bring them to leadership.
- Research and write briefing materials when necessary.
- Compose and edit press releases, university literature, and articles for internal and external use.
- 7-10 years of experience in higher education, business, and/or journalism.
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in Journalism, Communications or related field in writing.
- Command of digital tools such as Adobe InDesign a plus.
- An understanding of brand-first integrated marketing techniques
- Exceptional time-management and multitasking skills
- Innovative thinker and collaborative team player
APPLICATION PROCESS: Send cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three (3) professional references to:
MS Word or PDF attachments only.
St. Thomas University is an E-Verify® Equal Opportunity Employer.
All employees are required to pass a criminal background screening and official degree transcripts will be required upon hire.