Mental Health Counselor
This is a professional level position (current licensure as a mental health professional and must maintain personal liability insurance). The Mental Health Counselor for Student Health Center provides direct student counseling within the scope of health and wellness services; coordinates emergency care with the local/regional health community; and provides guidance for and collaborate with all health education, prevention, and wellness programming at the University.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Mental Health Counselor provides psychosocial development and assessment, supporting new and returning students, through individual and group interventions.
- Serves as a resource for intervention, assessment, and referral of students regarding drug and alcohol issues and provides educational programs on drugs, alcohol use and abuse, including mandatory interventions, groups and and/or peer educators.
- Collaborate on early identification and intervention of at-risk students with other staff and faculty.
- Coordinates and facilitate wellness activities, including: alcohol awareness, anxiety and depression, sexual assault awareness, stress management, eating disorders, grief, trauma, healthy relationships, and smoking
- Provides developmental guidance, crisis intervention, on-call and other support and outreach services.
- Assist in the training of and consultation for Residence Life Staff and other student leader groups including parents, faculty, and staff.
- Develop, implement, and present outreach, programming and education workshops as directed.
- Maintain a high level of contact, accessibility, approachability and visibility with students; and communicates via University communication technologies to students about office hours, clinic hours, upcoming events etc.
- Provide information on student mental health awareness, programming, and prevention to prospective students at Open Houses and orientations.
- Assists in maintaining the Student Health web site.
- Maintain licensure and certification within the state of Florida and membership in appropriate professional organizations.
Assist with administrative functions to include:
- Administer the student health insurance plan including proof of insurance process and ensure all students meet immunization standards.
- Develop, implement, and analyze periodic student health surveys that 1) provide baseline and follow-up health data, 2) identify program needs and priorities, 3) evaluate the effectiveness of programs and services, and 4) track trends in student health status and behavior.
- Assists students to assume responsibility for the prevention of illness and the promotion, maintenance and restoration of health.
- Maintain record keeping system for documenting all services, case histories or critical incidents in a highly confidential manner; produce weekly data in a manner designed to ensure privacy.
- Perform other duties incidental to the work described herein, and as assigned by the Associate Dean of Students.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Review of completed applications will begin immediately. Send cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three (3) professional references to:
MS Word or PDF attachments only.
St. Thomas University is an E-Verify® Equal Opportunity Employer.
All employees are required to pass a criminal background screening and official degree transcripts will be required upon hire.