The Piano Accompanist is a bi-annually contracted position that reports through the Division of Student Affairs. The incumbent will be responsible for accompanying rehearsals and performances for the university choir and musical theatre group. As a contractor, this position will uphold the values of collaboration, professionalism, and community development through a student-centered approach. The work of this position will intentionally align with strategic division initiatives to advance the mission and vision of student affairs which results in student learning and support for students to grow as ethical leaders for the global community.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Proactively consult with the Director of Choir, Director of Musical Theatre, and Director of Bands.
- Study the provided music repertoire ahead of rehearsals and performances.
- Assist the Director of Choir and Director of Musical Theatre in teaching voice parts to the ensembles.
- If requested, lead rehearsals or sectionals.
- Coach and coordinate student instrumentalists who wish to play with the choir.
- Accompany concerts with the choir and musical theatre group.
- Assist with rehearsal and performance setup and teardown.
- Instrumental proficiency on piano. Church organ is a plus.
- Proficient at sightreading sheet music in jazz, pop, classical, and musical theatre styles. Ability to read fully notated passages and chord symbols. Ability to play by ear is a plus.
- Ability to teach vocal melody and harmony by singing and playing.
- Must attend weekly choir and musical theatre rehearsals and performances as requested.
- Experience with electric pianos, acoustic pianos, and amplification systems.
- Urban teaching experience is a plus.
- Professional appearance and demeanor with attention to detail.
- Must be able to work under pressure, comply with daily operations, and meet established deadlines.
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with students, staff, and the community.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to prioritize a wide variety of diverse situations and changing priorities.
- Ability to perform duties with awareness of all university guidelines. Exhibit sound judgment.
- College Degree in music preferred.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Apply on Indeed.com
St. Thomas University is an E-Verify® Equal Opportunity Employer.
All employees are required to pass a criminal background screening and official degree transcripts will be required upon hire.