Public Relations/Communications Coordinator
St. Thomas University’s Department of Marketing and Communications is looking for a Public Relations/Communications Coordinator who works under the direct supervision of the Executive Director of Marketing and Communications to develop and implement all public relations initiatives. This position is responsible for the concept, creation and implementation of media relations such as proactive story pitching, coordinating interviews, writing press releases, drafting bylined articles, maintaining PR reports, coordinating opportunities among internal and external partners, and more.
- Works closely with the Executive Director of Marketing and Communications to develop and implement a comprehensive public relation and earned media strategy.
- Cultivate strong relationships with key media influencers, including reporters, editors, bloggers, and social media influencers; manage media lists
- Develop and maintain university-wide experts list
- Manage university’s media monitoring system
- Develop monthly public relations and earned media reports
- Develop and distribute universities’ central newsletters of mock-ups, university-wide communications and emails
- Assists the Executive Director of Marketing and Communications in the development of presentations and speeches for senior executives
- Assist with the development of content for social media
- Draft press releases to help support a media relations strategy.
- Draft stories for STU News site. Interview professors, students, partners and alumni for news stories
- Assist with university emergency communications system
- Identify and develop case studies and testimonials.
- Assist with drafting text for ads, articles, mailers, catalogs, websites, emails, video scripts, social media and other channels
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, marketing, English, political science or related field.
- Experience: 1 to 3 years experience in a public relations or communications role
- Proven working experience in Public Relations required.
- Proven track record designing and executing successful public relations campaigns at a local level, national level or both.
- Strong knowledge of media relations best practices and AP Style.
- Strong relationships with local media outlets desired.
- Comfortable and skilled in both broadcast and print media interviews.
- Exceptional writing and editing skills.
- Solid experience with social media including blogs, Facebook, Twitter etc.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Send cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three (3) professional references to:
MS Word or PDF attachments only.
St. Thomas University is an E-Verify® Equal Opportunity Employer.
All employees are required to pass a criminal background screening and official degree transcripts will be required upon hire.