Public Safety Gate Officers
Public Safety Gate Officers provide a professional and competent image providing STU community members with friendly and outgoing customer service. As a critical employee liaison between all guests of the STU community, Public Safety Gate Officer Personnel must be experienced in customer service, and be familiar with using the computer to perform various tasks. DPS Gate officers must also demonstrate organizational skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and strong communication in multiple languages.
Duties and Essential Functions include the following. Other duties may be assigned to meet University needs.
- Greet all guests in an upright standing position maintaining the highest quality of customer service.
- Monitor and authorize students, faculty, staff, visitors, cross-referencing against BOLO’s and watch lists, and maintaining premises security. All “check-in” policies and procedures must be followed without any exceptions.
- Coordinate with Office of Residential Life staff to maintain and updated Resident’s List.
- Use proper phone communications for all incoming and outgoing phone calls. All calls should be clear and in a professional manner.
- Report any violations of the Rules and Regulations that are noticed at any time.
- Observe precautions required to protect students, staff, and faculty, guests, property, and report damage, theft to supervisors.
- Be familiar with the fire alarm system operations and report all incidents to management.
- Call police or fire departments in emergency cases, such as fire or the presence of unauthorized persons.
- Follow all standards, policies, and procedures regarding emergency response by coordinating with the Department of Public Safety.
- Complete daily activity reports for equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons, or unusual occurrences.
- Issue parking decals to students, faculty, and staff and issue day passes for visitors.
- Security License for the State of Florida class D
- Must have a valid FL Driver’s License
- Must own your own vehicle/Have Reliable Transportation
- Must have a professional demeanor and appearance
- Excellent customer service skills
- Motivated and professional
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Customer Service: 3 years (Preferred)
- Security: 2 years (Preferred)
- Possess command of proper telephone etiquette and general office procedures
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Active listening skills.
- Ability to assess and evaluate situations effectively.
- Ability to identify critical issues quickly and accurately.
- Demonstrates good attention to detail.
- Ability to fill daily/weekly reports and forms.
- Must maintain strict professionalism and confidentiality in dealing with sensitive information.
- Good verbal and written communication skills; ability to convey information and explain or discuss office policy and procedures with others in person or by telephone.
- Must be able to multi-task.
- Must follow all STU policies and procedures.
- Ability to effectively understand and communicate in English (verbally and in writing).
- Highly accountable, reliable, and prompt, with a strong work ethic.
- Must display exceptional customer service and communication skills.
- Remain flexible to ever-changing environments; adapt well to different situations.
- Ability to maintain satisfactory attendance and punctuality standard.
- Neat and professional appearance.
- Must be able to handle the pressure of working with a high-volume general public (constantly to occasionally depending on assignment).
- Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
The qualifications listed above are intended to represent the minimum skills and experience levels associated with performing the duties and responsibilities contained in this job description. The qualifications should not be viewed as expressing absolute employment or promotional standards but as general guidelines that should be considered along with other job-related selection or promotional criteria.
[This job requires the ability to perform the essential functions contained in this description. These include, but are not limited to, the following requirements.]
- Ability to sit at a desk for a large portion of the day.
- May require periods of walking throughout the facility.
- Ability to effectively operate and utilize a computer.
- Must be able to work longer hours based on departmental needs.
- Stand or walk constantly (for up to an entire shift) on various surfaces (tile, concrete, carpet).
- Climb stairs, ramps, or ladders occasionally during shift.
- Occasionally bend/twist at waist/knees/neck to perform various duties.
- Occasionally lift or carry up to 40 pounds.
- Constant use of both hands and arms in reaching/handling/grasping/fingering while using phone, notepad, writing reports, and other administrative tasks.
- Constant use of eyes (correctable vision to the average level required) to observe, read, interact with public and co-workers, view security monitors; includes hand/eye coordination.
- Work in various environments, including adverse outdoor conditions such as cold, rain, or heat.
- Constant mental alertness and attention to detail required while setting priorities and following up on assignments.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Apply on Indeed.com