Student Success Advisor
Student Success Center
This position is responsible for student retention, success, and completion in accordance with St. Thomas University policies and procedures; as well as federal, state and regional regulatory requirements and accreditation standards.
- Assist students with academic advising and course registration, degree planning, financial aid processes and procedures and other student resources to increase student retention and success;
- Collaborate with faculty and staff to respond to general student inquiries through a variety of communication methods, including in-person inquiry, telephone, email contacts and other communication modalities;
- Meet with all potential withdrawing students to coordinate re-entry prior to withdrawal and maintain contact to assure their return;
- Develop, implement, maintain and evaluate a system to increase student re-entry percentages;
- Possess a thorough understanding of university policies, procedures, requirements, and effectively communicate them to students;
- Respond in a timely manner to all student inquiries received via the Student Success Center’s email and phone systems;
- Demonstrate to students how to navigate and utilize the University’s Early Alert and Support retention resource (Starfish), and degree planning (Student Planning) systems to assist students and faculty toward course and on-time degree completion;
- Solve issues related to student success, review student educational plans, degree audits, petitions, and graduation requirements when needed and make referrals to resources within and outside of the University to ensure positive outcomes;
- Utilize the University’s Early Alert and Support retention resources and other indicators of progress to assist students and faculty toward course and on-time degree completion; keep detailed and appropriate advising notes regarding student progression updates and advisement in Colleague (SIS).
- Communication proficiency;
- Ethical conduct;
- Time management;
- Personal effectiveness/credibility;
- Strategic thinking;
- Technical capacity;
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology, counseling, education or other discipline deemed relevant by the University and one year of relevant experience in higher education;
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Experience in student services, proactive advising and one-stop enrollment preferred.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Send cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three (3) professional references to:
MS Word or PDF attachments only.
St. Thomas University is an E-Verify® Equal Opportunity Employer.
All employees are required to pass a criminal background screening and official degree transcripts will be required upon hire.