Dr. Jeffrey N. Pickens
Professor of Psychology
PhD, Florida International University; MS, BS, University of Florida
Dr. Jeffrey N. Pickens is a Professor of Psychology at St. Thomas University since 2001. His training in Developmental Psychology includes a M.S. in Psychology from University of Florida (1981) and Ph.D. in Life-Span Human Development from Florida International University (1990), and a post-doctoral research fellow at University of Miami School of Medicine (1991–1993). He was an Associate Professor at James Madison University, Virginia (1993-2000). Dr. Pickens does community-based research; he conducts program evaluation for North Dade Youth & Family Coalition, and City of Miami Gardens. Dr. Pickens teaches psychology at the graduate and undergraduate levels at St. Thomas University.
- Pickens, Jeffrey (2011). Community Based Participatory Research on Youth Violence Prevention. Journal of Multidisciplinary Research. Vol. 3, Issue 3, 9 - 24.
- Pickens, J. (2010). Participatory Action Research to Reduce Youth Violence. PHILICA.COM [http://www.philica.com/display_article.php?article_id=212].
- Pickens, Jeffrey (2010). Challenges of Implementing the NIH Extramural Associate Research Development Award (EARDA) at a Minority-Serving University. Journal of Research Administration, Vol.12(3),69-76.
- Pickens, Jeffrey (2009). Socioemotional Programme Promotes Positive Behaviour in Preschoolers. Child Care & Practice, Vol 15(4), 261-270.
- Pickens, J., Bachay, J. & Treadwell, L. (2009). University for Diversity: A Case Study. Journal of College & Character, Volume X, No. 4, April 2009. Article 1 pp. 1-16.
- Pickens, J., Cetin, G. & Moise, R. (2010, Aug.). A University-Community Alliance for Social Justice: Participatory Action research to Reduce Youth Violence. Meeting of the Society for the Study of Social Problems, Atlanta, GA August 13-14, 2010.
- Pickens, J., Cetin, G. & Moise, R. (2010, May). Community Based Participatory Research on Youth Violence Prevention. Meeting of the Association for Psychological Science – APS, Boston, MA May 27-30, 2010.
- J. Pickens (2006). Gender Roles and Cultural Traditions: How do they Change? In Women Moving Forward, Vol. 2. Edited by Raul Fernandez-Calienes and Judith Bachay. UK: Cambridge Scholars Press.
- Pickens, J. (2006). To Boldly Go: Star Trek Superheroes in Psychotherapy. In Superheroes in Psychotherapy. NY:Springer-Verlag: 12/2006 ISBN: 0826102697.
- Pickens, J. (2005). Perceptions and Attitudes of Individuals. Organizational Behavior in Health Care. Borkowski, N (Ed.) NY: Jones & Barlett Publishing.