PURSUE A CRIMINAL JUSTICE DEGREE AT ST. THOMAS UNIVERSITY
About the Program
The Criminal Justice program provides a skill-based experience in understanding the structure and operation of the criminal justice system, including the police, courts, and corrections. Our program focuses on managerial, legal and behavioral dimensions of the major branches of the criminal justice system, explores the nature and extent of crime nationally and internationally, offers a critical view and assessment of crime control efforts and takes on related contemporary contentious issues such as capital punishment, illegal immigration, court reform, and terrorism.
Our school offers the following degrees:
- Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice
- Minor in Forensic Criminal Justice
- Certificate in Criminal Justice
- Master of Arts in Criminal Justice
- Certificate in Homeland Security and Terrorism
- Provides students with the leadership skills, intellectual tools and practical knowledge needed to manage criminal justice personnel and resources, formulate effective crime control policies and strategies, assess current offender treatment programs, and to work with various federal, state and local agencies to bring about safer communities;
- Students can choose to participate in exciting internships with such agencies as the FBI, Border Patrol, the DEA, U.S. Customs, FDLE, Secret Service, State of Florida Guardian Ad Litem, and Miami-Dade Police Department.
- You are guaranteed that you won’t be just a number in our school with our small classes and involved professors.
- Special fast-track programs leading to a combined BA and Master of Arts degree in Criminal Justice, an expedited BA/JD degree, as well as a joint JD/Master of Arts in Criminal Justice degree
- We offer students practical leadership training through participation in interdisciplinary and international programs.
- Our school awards a combination of scholarships, grants, and employment opportunities.
- Our goal is to make education accessible and affordable to you.
Curriculum Course Sampling
- SOC 321D Criminology
- SJE 3110 Law Enforcement Systems
- CCJ 3666 Victimology
- CC J 4661 Terrorism and Law Enforcement Procedures
- CJL 3510 The Courts
- CJC 3011 Corrections
- The BA in Criminal Justice prepares students for positions in the FBI, ICE, DEA and other federal law enforcement agencies as well as various state and local agencies such as the Florida Department of Probations, City of Miami Police Department, etc.
- Graduates are also able to pursue highly rewarding professional careers with the courts, correctional services, crime victim services, as well as various administrative agencies such as the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Federal Trade Commission, and the Environmental Protection Agency, the Internal Revenue Service, all of which employ special investigators.
- Gary Feinberg, PhD Sociology, The Union Institute.
- Abdy Javadzadeh, PhD Sociology, Florida International University.
- Robin Lovett, Juris Doctor, Howard University.
- Debbie Goodman-Lerner, MS Criminal Justice, Florida International University