Master of Arts in Ethical Leadership
We are in desperate need of an Ethical Revolution that revitalizes our organizations, gives voice to the underrepresented, values inclusivity, and pursues a positive future in which individuals reach their full potential. Aligning with the St. Thomas University Mission, the Master of Arts in Ethical Leadership equips students with the skills, competencies, and capacities necessary for leading the next generation of effective, ethical, and socially responsible global corporations and communities. Designed for students looking to advance their organizational standing and maximize the potential of those around them, the program leverages best practices and innovative leadership strategies to create a foundation for organizational and community change.
Courses are designed to develop agile learning, adaptive practice, collaboration strategies, team building, and conflict resolution among a diverse group of students from various backgrounds, professions, and career levels. Coursework utilizes face-to-face and online formats and innovative teaching and learning strategies within applied real-world settings. The program is recommended for both full and part-time students including working professionals from diverse fields such as business, student affairs, higher education, secondary education, primary education, healthcare, human resources development, and public safety. Graduates demonstrate the ability to ethically inspire action and a shared vision in others, make effective decisions within fast-paced environments, improve organizational effectiveness and teamwork, and increase profitability. Many of our graduates gain new responsibilities and receive promotions within the first year of earning their degree. If you’re ready to champion the Ethical Revolution and become the best leader you can be, APPLY TODAY!
General Admissions Requirements
- A completed and signed university Application for Admission
- Official college and/or university baccalaureate transcripts from the institution where the degree was conferred
- Personal statement describing the applicant’s professional goals and interest in the desired degree
- Professional Résumé
- Graduate applicants with an undergraduate GPA below 3.0 will be required to submit a statement justifying the grades received and demonstrating how the applicant has progressed professionally since graduation
An Innovative & Blended Approach
In an effort to meet the needs of our dynamic student populations, courses are offered in a blended format. In addition to highly accessible online course content, students can expect experiential learning opportunities and three residency requirements during their program of study. Residencies are a key component of the program, as they develop students’ professional networks and apply ethical leadership theory and practice to address current real-world problems. Residencies provide opportunities for students to work with and learn from corporate executives, community leaders, policymakers, and our nationally preeminent faculty members. Our innovative blended approach provides tangible implications for a complex world in need of ethical leadership while promoting work/life balance.
Residencies are facilitated via an intensive application of ethical leadership theory and practice over a 3-day period. Students will be greeted by an opening reception on the first evening and engage in experiential and project-based workshops over the next two days. The final day will culminate in a celebration with students, faculty, staff, university administration, corporate executives, and community leaders that provide implications for advancing ethical leadership in our world. Residencies are included in the following courses:
- MEL 601 Interpersonal Leadership
- MEL 640 Organizational Leadership and Change
- MEL 675 Managing Innovation in Organizations
Our innovative blended approach and unique structure allow students to complete their master’s degree in two years (6 semesters) on a part-time basis while working full-time.
Program Student Learning Outcomes
The Master of Arts in Ethical Leadership program prepares graduates who can:
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills along with strong oral, written, visual, presentation and listening communication skills
- Address complex workplace problems through the application of Ethical Leadership practices, effective decision-making, key performance metrics, creativity, systems, and critical thinking skills
- Exhibit organizational behaviors aligned with the best practices for the development of ethical standards and morality within the work environment
- Assume leadership roles in the workplace while recognizing the value of group work and collaboration
MEL 600 Leadership Foundations and Skills Assessment
MEL 601 Interpersonal Leadership
MEL 630 Organizational Communication and Leadership
MEL 635 Legal and Ethical Aspects of Organizations
MEL 640 Organizational Leadership and Change
MEL 645 Global and Cultural Diversity in Leadership
MEL 650 Conflict Resolution and Mediation
MEL 660 Project Management and Leadership
MEL 675 Managing Innovation in Organizations
MEL 700 Organizational Behavior
MEL 701 Ethical Leadership Capstone
All courses in the program will use teaching strategies that integrate practical applications through fieldwork, innovative technology, challenge-based projects, teamwork, or other applied practices in conjunction with research.