The Rev. Raúl Fernández-Calienes
Visiting Associate Professor of Legal Writing Skills
B.A., University of Miami
M.Div., Princeton Theological Seminary
M.A.R., Iliff School of Theology
M.S.TESOL, St. Thomas University
Ph.D., University of Sydney, Australia
Grad.Cert.Ecum., University of Geneva, Switzerland
Grad.Cert.Publ.Mgt., St. Thomas University
C.P.E., Jackson-Memorial University of Miami Medical Center
C.P.E., Presbyterian-University of Pennsylvania Medical Center
The Reverend Professor Raúl Fernández-Calienes, Ph.D., has been active in education, ministry, and service with minority and indigenous peoples for most of his life. He has served on the staff and been a consultant with grassroots, church, and educational organizations in the U.S. and overseas. He has won many research and practicum awards, from such organizations as the Lilly Foundation, the Consortium on Rights Development, and the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation. He is a sought-after researcher, writer, and award-winning editor, and he has done editorial and production work on many books published in the Americas, Europe, and Asia. At St. Thomas, he was on the staff of the St. Thomas University Human Rights Institute, the adjunct faculty member with the Graduate Writing Program, and the technical editor for the University's Self-Study Report 2003 (for ten-year accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) and the law school's Self Study Report 2005 (for the American Bar Association and the American Association of Law Schools). In 2006, he was an Assistant Editor of the Journal of the Legal Writing Institute. In 2013 and 2014, he was a Deputy editor of the ABA Section of International Law's Year in Review. He also is co-editor of the 3-volume Women Moving Forward book series. Currently, he is the Managing Editor of the Journal of Multidisciplinary Research, a peer-reviewed academic publication, and he directs the Writing Enhancement and Skills (WES) Program.
- Raul Fernandez-Calienes, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, in Encyclopedia of the Fourth Amendment (John R. Vile & Davis A. Hudson, eds., 2012, Sage Publications-CQ Press).
- Raul Fernandez-Calienes, Golden Rule, in Dictionary of the Bible and Western Culture: A Handbook for Students (Mary Ann Beavis & Michael J. Gilmore, eds., 2012, Sheffield Phoenix Press).
- Raul Fernandez-Calienes, Federal Judicial Center, in The U.S. Justice System: An Encyclopedia (Steven H. Wilson, ed., 2011, ABC-CLIO).
- Raul Fernandez-Calienes, Equal Employment Opportunities Commission, in Encyclopedia of Law and Higher Education (Charles J. Russo, ed., 2010, Sage Publications).
- Raul Fernandez-Calienes, Southern Poverty Law Center, in Encyclopedia of Race and Crime (Helen Taylor Greene & Shaun L. Gabbidon, eds., 2009, Sage Publications).
- Raul Fernandez-Calienes, Plagiarism, in Encyclopedia of Business in Today's World (Charles Wankel, ed., 2009, Sage Publications).
- Raul Fernandez-Calienes, Comment, Life Forward: Daniel D. Dolan, II, Esq., 4(2) J. Multidisciplinary Res. 107 (2012).
- Raul Fernandez-Calienes, Distinguished Speaker Series: Index-2011 (2011, St. Thomas University School of Law).
- Raul Fernandez-Calienes, Journey to a Research Journal: Intrapreneurship, Branding and the Making of an Academic Journal, in International Conference on Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Conference Proceedings (2011).
Member, Library Committee, St. Thomas University School of Law