Stephen A. Plass
Professor of Law
B.A., Fairleigh Dickinson University
J.D., Howard University School of Law
LL.M., Georgetown University Law Center
Professor Plass teaches Contracts, Labor Law, Employment Discrimination Law, and Collective Bargaining. His research interests are in the areas of labor and employment law, civil rights, and contracts, and he publishes regularly on these subjects.
Prior to joining the law school, Professor Plass worked as corporate counsel and vice president of a company that provides infrastructure services to foreign countries. And before that, he served as a corporate labor lawyer for a public utility. Professor Plass has also served as a Lemon Law arbitrator for the State of Florida, and on the Board of Directors of Legal Services Corporation of Greater Miami. While at St. Thomas, Professor Plass founded the Law Wednesday program that provides free legal services to the poor.
- Stephen A. Plass, Using Pyett To Counter The Fall Of Contract-Based Unionism In A Global Economy, 34 Berkeley J. Emp. & Lab. L. (forthcoming 2013).
- Stephen A. Plass, Mandatory Arbitration as an Employer’s Contractual Prerogative: The Efficiency Challenge to Equal Employment Opportunity, 33 Cardozo L. Rev. 195 (2011). HeinOnline
- Stephen Plass, Private Dispute Resolution and the Future of Institutional Workplace Discrimination, 54 How. L.J. 45 (2010). HeinOnline
- Stephen A. Plass, Exploring Animal Rights as an Imperative for Human Welfare, 112 W. Va. L. Rev. 403 (2010). HeinOnline
- Stephen Plass, Exploring the Limits of Executive Civil Rights Policymaking, 61 Okla. L. Rev. 155 (2008). HeinOnline
- Stephen Plass, Reconciling the Public Policy Exception to Enforcing Contracts with Title VII's Public Policy On Disciplining Harassers, 19 St. Thomas L. Rev. 407 (2007). HeinOnline
- Stephen A. Plass, Privatizing Antidiscrimination Law with Arbitration: The Title VII Proof Problem, 68 Mont. L. Rev. 151 (2007). HeinOnline
- Stephen Plass, Reinforcing Title VII with Zero Tolerance Rules, 39 Suffolk U.L. Rev. 127 (2005). HeinOnline
- Stephen A. Plass, Public Opinion and the Demise of Affirmative Action, 19 Ga. St. U. L. Rev. 495 (2002). HeinOnline
- Stephen A. Plass, Bargain Avoidance in a Competitive Bargain Market: The Car Sales Conundrum, 2 Wyoming L. Rev. 1 (2002). HeinOnline
- Stephen A. Plass, Dualism and Overlooked Class Consciousness in American Labor Laws, 37 Hous. L. Rev. 823 (2000). HeinOnline
- Stephen A. Plass, Truth: The Lost Virtue in Title VII Litigation, 29 Seton Hall L. Rev. 599 (1999). HeinOnline
- Stephen A. Plass, The Illusion and Allure of Textualism, 40 Vill. L. Rev. 93 (1995). HeinOnline
- Stephen A. Plass, The Foreign Amici Dilemma, 1995 BYU L. Rev. 1189 (1995). HeinOnline
- Stephen A. Plass, Arbitrating, Waiving and Deferring Title VII Claims, 58 Brook. L. Rev. 779 (1992). HeinOnline
- Stephen A. Plass, Bedrock Principles, Elusive Construction, and the Future of Equal Employment Laws, 21 Hofstra L. Rev. 313 (1992). HeinOnline
- Stephen A. Plass, Testing Hair Follicles for Drugs: In Search of Privacy, Accuracy, and Reliability, 42 Labor L.J. 111 (1992).
- Stephen A. Plass & Donald Lively, Equal Protection: The Jurisprudence of Denial and Evasion, 40 Am. U. L. Rev. 1307 (1991). HeinOnline
- Stephen A. Plass, Judicial Versus Legislative Charting of National Economic Policy: Plotting a Democratic Course for Minority Entrepreneurs, 24 Loy. L.A. L. Rev. 655 (1991). HeinOnline
- Stephen A. Plass & Donald Lively, Equal Protection and the Rehnquist Court: Compounding a Legacy of Constitutional Vagrancy, 22 U. Tol. L. Rev. 717 (1991). HeinOnline
- Stephen A. Plass, A Comprehensive Assessment of Employment Drug Testing: Legal Battles Over Delicate Interests, 27 San Diego L. Rev. 29 (1990). HeinOnline
- Stephen A. Plass, The Status of Labor Arbitration Today: A Look at the Development of Labor Arbitration and the Labor Arbitrator's Authority in the Collective Bargaining Contract - Federal Statute Context, 28 How. L.J. 795 (1985). HeinOnline