Credit for Life Experience
Life Experience (Portfolio) Credit
The Life Experience Portfolio Program offers adult learners the opportunity to seek college-level credit by completion of a portfolio. The portfolio is the means by which adult learners demonstrate the knowledge and learning outcomes experiences acquired outside the traditional classroom that constitute college-level learning. Adult learners must first complete the POR 300 “Adult Development and Life Assessment” course. A maximum of 27 credits may be granted through evaluation of the portfolio by members of the St. Thomas University faculty. All credits successfully achieved through the portfolio process will be recorded on the official transcript with a grade of “P” (pass).
To qualify for the Life Experience Portfolio Program, the student must:
- Have at least three (3) years of full-time work experience. Adult learners who do not have three years of full-time work experience may receive permission from the Assistant Dean for the Institute for Professional Studies to enter the program if they demonstrate a significant amount of community service experience.
- Demonstrate proficiency in college-level writing by completion of ENG 101 and ENG 102 or successfully passing the CLEP examination in English with a minimum essay score of 500.
- Successfully complete POR 300 Adult Development Life and Assessment.
- Submit a completed portfolio requesting additional portfolio credits to the Institute for Professional Studies within one (1) year of completion of the POR 300 Course.
- Be in good academic standing (cumulative grade point average of 2.00 in all St. Thomas University coursework).
Adult learners who have completed 90 credits are not eligible to complete the Life Experience Portfolio Program. All credit earned by completion of the Life Experience Portfolio Program will be posted on the academic transcript after successful completion of 12 credit hours of coursework at St. Thomas University.