Post-Master’s Advanced Placement Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner Certificate Online*
*Pending Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education accreditation
The Post-Master’s Advanced Placement PMHNP Certificate online program at St. Thomas University is designed for students who hold a nurse practitioner master’s degree to earn a specialization as a psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner without having to complete a full master’s degree.
- Total tuition cost: $16,775*
- Complete the program as soon as 14 months
- Total credit hours: 29
- 100% online program
- Integrate advanced knowledge in nursing, related science, and leadership skills that will emphasize ethical and critical decision-making across diverse settings
- Incorporate evidence-based research to resolve practical problems in health care
- Apply patient-care technology such as informatics to enhance patient care
- Create an environment of advanced practice that is beneficial to the establishment of effective interactions with patients
- Help improve health outcomes for populations and the quality of the health care systems by advocating new policies
- Demonstrate competence in communication, collaboration, and consultation with healthcare professionals
- Construct processes for self-accountability of professional growth, adopt lifelong learning, and practice to maintain health and improve patient outcomes
- Outpatient clinics
- Mental health agencies
- Private practice
- Detox centers
- Correctional facilities
- Residential substance abuse shelters
Tuition and Fees
The program consists of 11 courses for a total of 29 credit hours. Each course has a technology fee of $75. The tuition shown is based on 29 hours of nursing courses and is inclusive of the fees.
|Tuition per Credit Hour||Technology Fee per Course||Total Program Tuition (Including Fees)|
*Tuition costs are subject to change at any time.
Requirements for Your Online Post-Master’s APFNP Certificate
- 3.0 GPA from an accredited degree granting institution
- Active and unencumbered Florida nursing license or Florida APRN license
- MSN in a nurse practitioner field
Official transcripts and all other documentation should be sent to:
St. Thomas University
Office of Admissions, Mimi Dooner Hall
16401 NW 37th Ave.
Miami Gardens, FL 33054-6459
Or emailed to: email@example.com
Please note that this program may not currently be available in your state due to licensure requirements of your state of residence. We advise you to contact your state credentialing authority or licensing board for its specific requirements regarding licensure.
The Post-Master’s Advanced Placement PMHNP Certificate requires students to complete a total of 500 clinical hours to graduate from the program. There are four clinical courses with 125 clinical hours required for each of these classes: NUR 620: Psychiatric Management I, NUR 630: Psychiatric Management II, NUR 640: Psychiatric Management III, and NUR 650: Psychiatric Management IV. Each clinical course runs over a seven-week period, and the required hours must be completed by the end of each course. See course descriptions for more details.
Prior to beginning clinical courses, you are required to complete and submit proof of the following:
- Current unencumbered RN licensure in Florida
- Current Professional Liability Insurance
- Criminal Background Check
- Drug Screening
- Basic Life Support (CPR) certification
- Annual Physical Examination
- Current Immunizations
Finding Clinical Sites and Preceptors
STU strongly encourages students to secure their own preceptors, as this is the best way to accommodate schedule and location to the student’s needs. We strongly encourage students to have an alternate preceptor available if needed.
If assistance with clinical placement is needed, you may be required to commute outside your local area, as STU cannot guarantee a clinical site within your immediate location. Please note that your clinical site could be up to 100 miles from your residence.
Restrictions on Clinical Sites
We highly encourage all clinical hours to be conducted in the primary care setting for this program. Students are restricted from completing clinical rotations on their assigned unit. Your immediate supervisor at your place of employment may not serve as your preceptor. Students are not permitted to perform clinical rotations during hours they are working as an employee at a facility. Students are also not allowed to be paid during clinical hours.
Courses in this program conducted over a seven-week term. The summer term consists of two six weeks
Interested in the Post Masters Advanced Placement Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP) Certificate (Online) program?
Use the form below to reach out to us about your interest in the program. You may also contact Graduate Admissions by phone or email.