Renewal of Visa
Timely planning is recommended should you need to renew your visa. For information regarding the renewal process please go online.
Additional information with regards to current visa processing times at the consulate nearest you can be found here. Please note that processing times are only estimates each consulate is different.
General Visa Application Documents:
- 1. Online DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Application
- Valid passport
- I-20 with proper signatures
- Proof of funding as reflected on your I-20
- Proof of continued enrollment or research
- Documents that demonstrate ties to home country
- Students on post-completion OPT: Valid EAD and job offer, or receipt notice if OPT is still pending.
- Additional documents required by the U.S. embassy/consulate where you plan to apply for your visa
The visa cannot be obtained from within the U.S. but a valid visa is only needed when you are reentering the U.S. Once you are in the U.S., you do not need a valid visa stamp to remain in the U.S.