Adding a Dependent

F-1 and J-1 students may request an F-2 I-20 or J-2 DS-2019 for their non-U.S. citizen spouse or unmarried children under the age of 21.F-1/J-1 visa holders must be able to establish with satisfaction to the consular officer and the immigration officer at the port of entry the dependent status of their spouse and unmarried minor children.

To add a dependent to your program send to the following documents:

  • Complete the Dependent Application Form
  • Submit a copy of a legal marriage certificate for the spouse and a copy of the birth certification for each minor child.
  • Evidence of financial support for you and your dependent(s).
  • Passport ID page(s) for each dependent (spouse and/or unmarried minor child or children)


An F-2 I-20 or J-2 DS-2019 will be issued by ISSS within 5 business days.

Working as a Dependent: F-2 dependents are NOT eligible to work in the U.S. J-2 dependents are eligible, but a work permit (EAD) from USCIS is required.

Studying as a Dependent: F-2 dependents may NOT study full-time in a degree program, but can enroll part-time. F-2 dependents are allowed to engage in full-time studies that are merely vocational or recreational in nature. F-2 children in primary and secondary schools may be eligible to study part-time or full-time in the U.S. There are no regulatory restrictions on J-2 study.