Keep Your Documents Valid

In order to ensure your legal status, all F-1 students must keep their immigration documents valid at all times and follow the following regulations:

Keep your passport valid at all times for at least six months into the future.

To renew or replace your passport, contact your country's consulate in the U.S. for more information go to the Department of State website. Report your lost or stolen passport to the police, as your home country government may require a police report before issuing a new passport. It is recommended that you keep a copy of your passport in a safe place.

Keep your Certificate of Eligibility (I-20) valid at all times.

Your Form I-20 (F-1) must remain valid throughout your course of study. Do not let your I-20 or DS-2019 expire. Please complete the I-20/DS-2019 Extension Form to request an extension.

Your I-20 travel signature must be valid for re-entry to the U.S.

Travel endorsements are valid for 12 months (6 months for F-1 OPT). You may use your current I-20 if the endorsement is less than 12 months old when you re-enter and the information on page one remains the same.

Your visa must be valid for re-entry to the U.S.

If you are traveling outside the U.S. and your visa has expired, you will need to apply for a renewal at the U.S. consulate or embassy in your home country. Please visit the Travel & Reentry section for more information on how to renew your visa.