Documents Needed for Travel

1. SEVIS I-20 with a travel signature from the International Advisor from within the past 12 months. The travel signature is valid for one year from the date it is endorsed or until the end of your program, whichever is shorter. The only exception is for students on F-1 OPT; in this case, the travel signature is only valid for 6 months. You do NOT need to obtain a new signature each time you travel. One signature is valid for multiple trips in and out of the U.S. To obtain a signature for travel, you should come to ISSS during advising hours.

2. Passport valid for at least 6 months into the future. Check with your home country's consulate if your passport is expiring to learn if it can be renewed in the U.S.

3.Valid visa in your passport (Canadian citizens are exempt). If your F-1 visa has expired, you must apply for a new visa from the U.S. Consulate or Embassy abroad before you reenter unless you are eligible for Automatic Revalidation (see section below). You CANNOT apply for a new visa within the U.S.

4. And, if you are a…

New Student: Your STU admission letter.

Continuing Student: Proof of your enrollment in classes (print out your class enrollment for the current/next semester from MyBocat portal) and/or your unofficial transcripts.

F-1 Student on Post-Completion OPT: EAD card plus a letter of employment after OPT approval.

Dependents must also have their I-20 endorsed for travel as well.