Student Complaint Policies and Procedures

St. Thomas University uses a decentralized model in recording and resolving student complaints.

The Business Office.

The Business Office handles disputes related to financial matters specific to charges billed to student accounts. All financial disputes are made in writing. Students must complete a Request for Appeal available here, the Bobcat Enrollment Center or the Business Office. When completed, this form with its supporting documents can be returned or faxed (305-474-6930) to the Bobcat Enrollment Center.

Ombudsman’s Services

For written academic complaints, undergraduate and graduate main campus and online students and faculty are expected to follow the Academic Grievance Process (see pp. 92-94) found in the current student handbook.

Main Campus Undergraduate Programs: The Office of Student Affairs works to resolve student academic and non-academic concerns/complaints for undergraduate students.

Undergraduate Ombudsman
Mr. Richard McNab
305.628.6554 |

Main Campus Graduate Programs: Each faculty ombudsman has been assigned to serve students from a different school than their own in order to avoid any conflict of interest.

Main Campus Graduate Ombudsman by School

School of Business Dr. Leslee Higgins
305.474.6072 |
School of Science Dr. Luis C. Fernandez Torres
305.474.6014 |


Undergraduate and Graduate Online Programs Ombudsman

Dr. Thelma Cole
305.474.6879 |


Student Complaint Log. The office of OIT maintains the Student Complaint Log in a Share Point that can be accessed only by the Ombudsmen and the Provost. The Ombudsmen enter comments in the student’s data file documenting the concern, all follow-up information, and the resolution.

Student Affairs.

For non-academic complaints, students are expected to follow the Student Grievance Policy (see pp. 102-105) found in the current student handbook.

Each Student Affairs office logs the grievance in the Student Complaint Log – Student Affairs. If the grievance is related to a student behavioral infraction, information related to the case/grievance is also documented in the University’s online judicial platform.

STU Online Students

Out-of-state STU Online students who have completed the internal institutional grievance process and the applicable state grievance process may appeal non‐instructional complaints to the FL‐SARA PRDEC Council. If the student is not satisfied with the outcome, he/she may appeal the complaint to the PRDEC Council by sending an email to

For additional information on the complaint process, please visit the FL‐SARA Complaint Process page.

For additional information regarding other states’ recognition of the St. Thomas University online M.S. in Educational Leadership and/or Ed.D. in Leadership & Innovation degree for licensing or certification purposes, please visit the State-by-State Database of licensing or certification requirements for graduates of M.S. Ed. Leadership or Ed.D. Leadership & Innovation programs.

The Office of Information Technology (OIT).

OIT uses a centralized Help Desk service for faculty, staff, and students to log and process all technology related service calls, requests, and complaints. The Help Desk uses a Trouble Ticket system developed in-house to document, assign, track, and notify users via email of service requests and resolution status. After hours, St. Thomas uses a Voice Mail transcription and notification service so the requests can be automatically routed to the night-time technician on campus for faster resolution. The Trouble Ticket system runs automated status reports on a daily basis so the support team can see all the pending tickets and their status in one convenient format.

Contact Information:
Phone: 305-628-6610; E-mail:

The School of Law.

Student complaints in the School of Law are handled by the School’s Student Affairs Office. The procedure is set out in the Law Student Handbook (see p. 46) and the Complaint Form.

State Consumer Protection Agencies

In addition to these internal policies and procedures designed to assist students with issues or complaints, some states where St. Thomas offers online programs require information regarding their consumer protection policies and procedures related to student complaints be made available. These states and their contact information are listed below:


The Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education (ACPE) processes complaints alleging violations of state institutional authorization law relative to postsecondary institutions or programs in Alaska. A student is encouraged to pursue the complaint/grievance process at their institution prior to contacting ACPE. This process is outlined in the institution’s Student Complaint Website. To request a complaint form, please send an email to:

For questions or assistance relative to complaints please contact:

Kierke Kussart
Program Coordinator for Institutional Authorization

Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education
PO Box 110505
Juneau, AK 99811-0505


Available at