The State-by-State Database of licensing or certification requirements for graduates of M.S. Ed. Leadership or Ed.D. Leadership & Innovation program


State Yes/No Website Comment
Alabama Yes Through the certificate reciprocity approach to certification, Alabama recognizes valid professional educator certificates issued by other states, the District of Columbia, U.S. Territories, or the Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) as the basis to offer professional certification in Alabama. The certificate(s) presented must be at a degree level, in a teaching field or instructional support area, and at a grade level in which Alabama offers comparable certification.
Alaska Maybe To qualify for a Professional teacher certificate, an applicant must meet the following requirements:

Two years of teaching experience while holding a valid teacher certificate**
– OR –
Holds a current Initial teacher certificate which was valid on September 16, 2011

Passing scores on an approved basic competency exam (BCE)
Passing scores on a content area exam (e.g. Praxis II)**
Completion of a teacher preparation program as verified by an Institutional recommendation and transcripts, or a state recommendation
Official transcripts showing:
Three (3) semester hours of approved Alaska studies coursework
Three (3) semester hours of approved Alaska multicultural coursework
Six (6) semester hours of coursework completed in the five years prior to application (recency credit)
Verification of current employment in an Alaska public school district in a position requiring a certificate or a fingerprint card submitted with application
Complete application and fees (All fees are non-refundable.)
**If all of the requirements for a Professional certificate with the exception of the two year of teaching experience and the content area exam have been met, an applicant may apply for a Second Initial certificate.

The Professional certificate is valid for five (5) years and is renewable.

To renew a five-year certificate, applicants must meet the following requirements prior to the expiration date of their certificate:

Renewal credit (Six semester hours of credit taken during the life of the f certificate being renewed. A minimum of three semester hours must be upper division or graduate credit.)
Verification of current employment in an Alaska public school district in a position requiring a certificate. If an applicant is not employed in this capacity at the time of renewal, a fingerprint card will be required.
Complete application and fees (All fees are non-refundable.)
For certificates issued on September 2, 2011 and beyond, the six renewal credits earned must be:

Related to the certificated person’s employment at the time of renewal, if the employment requires a certificate;
Related to the certificated person’s endorsements, or
A required element of a program that will lead to an endorsement under 4 AAC 12.395 that the certificated person seeks to acquire.
Additional Requirements
Special Education
If you wish to teach special education to children with disabilities, you must, in addition to meeting other requirements for teacher certification, secure an endorsement based upon completion of an approved teacher training program in special education.

Preschool Special Education
If you wish to teach preschool children with special needs and are not eligible for an endorsement in preschool special education, you must have completed at least six (6) semester hours in early childhood special education in addition to holding a teaching certificate with a special education endorsement. (This does not constitute an endorsement in Early Childhood Special Education.)

If you wish to teach gifted children, you must, in addition to meeting requirements for teacher certification, have completed at least six (6) semester hours in gifted education. (This does not constitute an endorsement.)

Vocational Education
If you wish to teach vocational trades, you must have an endorsement in vocational education or a Type M Limited Certificate.

Arizona Yes   Administrative Certificates: Option A: Master’s Degree, Coursework, Experience, and Exam (Requirements A-1 through A-5 must be met)

A-1. A Master’s or more advanced degree including at least 60 graduate semester hours from an accredited institution. Official transcript(s) required.

A-2. Completion of a program in educational administration for superintendents, including at least 36 graduate semester hours of educational administrative courses teaching the knowledge and skills described in the Professional Administrative Standards (R7-2-603) to include three credit hours in school law and three credit hours in school finance.

A-3. Three (3) years of verified full-time teaching experience or related education services experience in Prekindergarten – 12 setting. Submit a Verification of Teaching Experience form or submit a letter on official letterhead from the District Superintendent or Personnel Director to verify experience.

A-4. A practicum as a superintendent or two years of verified experience as a superintendent, assistant superintendent, or associate superintendent in grades Prekindergarten – 12. Submit a letter on official letterhead from the District Superintendent or Personnel Director to verify experience.

A-5 Superintendent Exam Requirement. Submit one of the following: • A passing score on the Arizona Educator Proficiency Assessment Superintendent (Subtest I and II) Exam; or • Verification of three years of full-time experience as an administrator in any state, including Arizona. Submit a letter on official letterhead, completed and signed by a superintendent or personnel director, verifying your administrator experience. Note: Experience as an administrator in a foreign school will not be accepted. or • An official score report documenting that you passed a substantially similar administrative exam from another state.

Arkansas No–_Emergency_to_ASBE_2-8-18.pdf Page ADE-317-19:


3-4.01 An educational leadership preparation program that leads to an administrator’s license shall demonstrate in its program proposal and revisions for approval the program’s methods of preparing candidates for competency in the educational leadership standards adopted by the State Board.

3-4.02 By the Fall of 2020, to obtain and maintain state approval, educational leadership programs must document in the program’s application for approval:

3-4.02.1 Rigorous admission requirements for candidates; and

3-4.02.2 Partnerships with one (1) or more school districts for internship experiences that include site-based and in-person interaction throughout the program among school supervisors, program faculty, and candidates. Programs shall include internship experiences that involve candidates in meaningful leadership interactions with school personnel, students, and community members, with the support of program faculty.”

Page ADE-317-46:
6-1.0 Building-Level Administrator Endorsement

6-1.01 The Department shall issue a Building-Level Administrator endorsement to a Standard License, and as specifically limited in these rules to an Ancillary License or Career-Technical Permit, as provided in these rules upon receipt of the following:…

6-1.01.2 An official transcript documenting an awarded master’s or higher degree from an accredited college or university in:

6- Educational Leadership; or

6- In education or a licensure content area with the addition of a Department-approved program of study that includes coursework in Educational Leadership and an internship, with experiences at both the K-6 and 7- 12 grade levels.

6- If an applicant is seeking to add a licensure level to an older Building-Level Administrator license that is for less than all levels K-12, the applicant must complete a current internship for the missing licensure levels.

6- An awarded degree or an approved program of study from an institution inside of Arkansas shall be recognized for licensure only if the institution’s Licensure Officer and Education Leadership Chair sign and verify the application for licensure.

6- An applicant who has never received an administrator license and whose program of study in Educational Leadership was completed more than ten (10) years before the date of application shall be required to meet all current licensure requirements as determined by either the Department or an accredited educational leadership program;

California Yes 3 Routes, include the following criteria:

6. Completion of an administrator preparation program at a regionally‐accredited college or university
located in another state (alternative administrator programs are not acceptable)

Colorado Yes PRINCIPAL (This is a building-level leadership endorsement) – 3.03 (PDF)
Bachelor’s or higher degree from a regionally accredited institution
Three years of licensed experience in a public or nonpublic elementary or secondary school
Completion of an approved program at a regionally accredited institution for the preparation of principals.
Passing of the Colorado-approved content examADMINISTRATOR (This is a district-level leadership endorsement) – 6.08 (PDF)
Bachelor’s or higher degree from a regionally accredited institution
Completion of an approved graduate program at a regionally accredited institution for the preparation of district-level administrators
Passing of the Colorado-approved content exam
Connecticut Maybe Professional Educator Certificate
The Professional Educator Certificate is the third level certificate of Connecticut’s three tier continuum. To qualify for the Professional Educator Certificate, an applicant must complete the following requirements:At least 30 school months of successful appropriate experience in a Connecticut public or approved nonpublic school under the Provisional Educator Certificate.
ANDAny additional course requirements, as prescribed by Connecticut certification regulations, for the endorsement requested.
The Professional Educator Certificate is generally valid for five years.
Delaware Maybe The following items must be sent. To ensure speedy processing, please ensure that you follow the documentation guidelines for submission.

Official Transcript(s).
Send official (unopened) transcripts for all degrees and coursework directly to the Delaware Department of Education.
DOE can only accept transcripts from regionally accredited colleges and universities as detailed in Higher Education.
Student Teaching on an official transcript.
Copy of current and valid out-of-state license, if applicable. Expired licenses are not reciprocal.
An educator with less than four years of licensed teaching experience needs to apply for an Initial License.
Form E (Verification of Teaching Experience) – if you have held a full-time (non-substitute) K-12 teaching position in a school other than a Delaware public or charter school.
Form E must be completed by the school or the personnel office of the school or district where the experience was obtained and the section listing verification of successful evaluations must be completed and checked-off.
Test scores should be forwarded to the Delaware Department of Education electronically upon your request.
For certificates requiring Praxis II, Educational Testing Service (ETS) administers the Praxis tests. Please use Delaware Department of Education’s Reporting Code of R7065.
For certificates requiring American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL), Language Testing International administers the ACTFL tests.
For submitting passing scores for the Performance Assessment, Educational Testing Service (ETS) administers the PPAT; and Pearson administers the edTPA.
An approved Performance Assessment will need to be passed within two years upon employment in a Delaware public or charter school. If and educator has more than one year but less than four years of valid licensed teaching experience, the educator will need to apply for an Initial License and will not be required to pass a Performance Assessment. Proof of the valid teaching experience will be required by completing Form E (Verification of Teaching Experience).  Only educators with less than one year of valid teaching experience will need to complete the Performance Assessment.
The following certification areas are exempt and are not required to pass a Performance Assessment: Elementary School Counselor, Secondary School Counselor, Driver Education and Traffic Safety Education Teacher, School Nurse, School Psychologist and School Social Worker.

Georgia Maybe Out of State Educators
It is important to note that reciprocity does not mean that an out-of-state educator will automatically qualify for a Georgia certificate. Like most other states, Georgia imposes specific state requirements on all educators, including those already certified out-of-state. If you come to Georgia with a professional certificate from another state, you may have to fulfill some Special Georgia Requirements before receiving your Georgia certificate, or within a certain period of time after receiving your first certificate. Please feel free to peruse the Special Georgia Requirements in order to determine what additional requirements you might face. However, if you hold a professional out-of-state certificate and submit a complete application package for Georgia certification, the GaPSC will evaluate your documents and outline any outstanding requirements you may need to fulfill. You must be employed by a Georgia local unit of administration (LUA ) at the time that you apply for your first Georgia certificate in order to be eligible for full certification. However, if you meet all requirements except for employment, you will be issued a Certificate of Eligibility which may be converted to an educator certificate upon employment.
Hawaii Maybe Persons who possess a current, valid school-level administrator license through another state may be eligible for certification in Hawaii if they meet the following requirements.

Track IV (Vice Principal)

Possesses current, valid K-12 school-level administrator license

Holds a Master’s Degree in Educational Administration or Educational Leadership from an accredited university

Has a minimum of five (5) years K-12 school level experience, to include three (3) years satisfactory performance as a licensed, K-12 school-level vice principal (or assistant principal) in a public school system (private school and/or charter school experience not accepted at this time)

Duties performed must be comparable to an HIDOE vice principal

Track V (Principal)

Possesses current, valid K-12 school-level administrator license

Holds a Master’s Degree in Educational Administration or Educational Leadership from an accredited university

Has a minimum of five (5) years K-12 school-level experience, to include four (4) years satisfactory performance as a licensed, K-12 school-level principal or higher, in a public school system (private school and/or charter school experience not accepted at this time)

Idaho No Verification of completion of a State Board of Education approved educator preparation program is required to apply for an Idaho credential, certificate and/or endorsement. State Board of Education recognizes out-of-state CAEP/NCATE/TEAC accredited institutions. An official seal from the college/university must appear on this form. This Institutional Recommendation is valid for a maximum of two (2) years after program completion date.
General Administrative Endorsement: •Have two years of full-time teaching experience while holding a valid Illinois teaching certificate in early childhood, elementary, secondary, special K-12 or special preschool-age 21 (or a comparable out-of-state certificate)Superintendent Endorsement: •Have two years of full-time administrative/supervisory experience in schools while holding a valid Illinois administrative certificate (or a comparable out-of-state certificate)
Indiana Maybe To apply, obtain and submit the following materials:

Complete a profile, application and pay for the application through our online Licensing Verification and Information System, LVIS. Click HERE to access LVIS information.
A completed Areas for Evaluation form. Select all subjects for which you want to be evaluated. You will only be evaluated for the subjects selected.
A copy of your CPR/AED/Heimlich maneuver certification – click HERE for more information and a list of approved providers.
After July 1, 2013– Suicide Prevention Training Certificate.  Click here for a link to resources.
Official transcripts that bear the sign and/or seal of the registrar, the degree and date conferred. Provide transcripts for ALL completed coursework at ALL institutions attended. Transcripts must be included with evaluation materials. Do NOT order transcripts to be sent directly to the Office of Educator Licensing and Development.
If applicable, a copy of your VALID out of state Teaching, Administrative or School Services License. Out-of-state licenses that have expired will not be considered.
If applicable, an official letter verifying Instructional and/or Professional Education Experience. The letter is considered official if it is on school letterhead and signed by an administrator. The letter needs to include dates of employment; subjects and grades taught and/or positions held and must include both the type and status of school accreditation. It is only necessary for the Administrator from your last place of employment to verify all your experience.
Official Score Reports of licensing tests you may have taken.  Please see the Educator Testing website for more information.
Any other relevant application materials. If you neither graduated from an NCATE accredited education program nor hold an out of state license in accordance with our Interstate Compact Agreement, you may submit additional evidence of your license preparation for consideration. Some examples include: copies of educational awards or honors and/or official verification of in-service activities, educational conferences, seminars, educational mentoring you have preformed, educational publications, research, or presentations you have conducted. All verification(s) must be provided on official letterhead and signed by the supervisor.

Iowa Maybe You must have a master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution and complete a series of courses and experiences either in that degree program (i.e., as part of an administrator preparation program) or outside of that degree program. Coursework must cover the following:

Early childhood, early adolescent, elementary, and secondary level administration, evaluation and supervision
Early childhood, early adolescent, elementary, and secondary level curriculum development
Child growth/development from birth through adolescence, including developmentally appropriate strategies and practices of early childhood, elementary, and adolescence
Family support systems, risk factors for families, childcare issues, and home-school community relationships, and interactions
School law and legislative/public policy issues that affect children and families
Current issues in special education administration

Kansas Yes • Regulations provide a number of licensing options to guarantee access to start teaching to all applicants who hold a valid full or standard out-of-state license or certificate issued after the successful completion of a state approved preparation program.
• It is critical to provide all requested documentation. If additional documentation is required, you will be notified in writing.
• Information for future renewing or upgrading of the Kansas license will be printed on the license and included on information sheets provided with the license.Requirements for a Kansas Teaching License:
1. Bachelors degree – awarded by a regionally accredited institution
2. Teacher preparation program successfully completed
3. Valid out-of-state teaching license
4. Fingerprint – background clearance
5. “Recency” – one year of teaching experience or eight semester credit hours completed within the last six years
6. Content and Pedagogy testing requirements OR exempted by accepting out-of-state tests or experience
Kentucky No The EPSB’s Division of Certification or Division of Educator Preparation cannot “pre-approve” the use of an out-of-state online program for use by Kentucky’s educators. Kentucky citizens are advised that out-of-state online programs are regulated by the Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE). Consult CPE’s web site about CPE’s licensure requirements. No online programs located outside of Kentucky are currently accredited to offer education programs in Kentucky.

The Council on Postsecondary Education (CPE) has the authority to license online programs originating from outside the state, but operating in Kentucky pursuant to KRS 164.947. A college must have a license from CPE to operate in Kentucky. In 13 KAR 1:020, operate is defined as follows:

(1)(9) “Operating or soliciting” means having a physical presence within Kentucky and includes:

(a) An instructional or administrative site within Kentucky whether owned, leased, rented, or provided without charge;
(b) Instruction, whether theory or clinical, originating from or delivered within Kentucky utilizing teachers, trainers, counselors, advisors, sponsors, or mentors;
(c) An agent, recruiter, in-state liaison personnel, institution, or business located in Kentucky that advises, promotes, or solicits for enrollment, credit, or award of and educational or occupational credential;
(d) An articulation agreement with a Kentucky licensed college or state-supported institution; or
(e) Advertising, promotional material, or public soliciation in any form that targets Kentucky residents through distribution or advertising in the state.


Louisiana Certification
Louisiana offers two types of teaching certificates to applicants holding a standard out-of-state teaching
certificate. Both are valid certificates and make the holder eligible for a teaching assignment in a
Louisiana classroom. The certificate that is issued to the applicant depends on whether or not the
applicant has met Louisiana’s Praxis and/or NTE testing requirements.
1. Level 1 Professional Certificate is a standard, three-year Louisiana teaching certificate that
authorizes certification for the levels or subjects available in Louisiana and that are consistent
with those currently on the applicant’s Out-of-State teaching certificate. A Level 1 certificate is
issued to individuals who have completed the Louisiana PRAXIS and/or NTE requirements.
2. Out-of-State Certificate is a standard, three-year, non-renewable Louisiana teaching certificate
that authorizes certification for the levels or subjects available in Louisiana and that are
consistent with those currently on the applicant’s Out-of-State teaching certificate. An Out-ofState
(OS) certi

Maine Yes Transcripts
Send only official college transcripts. The transcript must show your degree and date conferred, Social Security number (when possible), all courses for which you have received credit, the registrar’s signature and the embossed seal. We do not accept copies of transcripts, scanned transcripts, or computer generated grade reports. If you have transcripts from colleges outside the United States, you must submit a foreign transcript evaluation completed by a company who is a current member of NACES as shown on their website ( All transcripts and degrees must be from an accredited college, whether the college is inside or outside the USA.
Maryland Yes If you have graduated from an out of state educator preparation program and do not have teaching experience or an out of state certificate, please submit the following:
Official transcript(s), which must show the degree and date of conferral. Student copies in an unopened mailer are also acceptable.
Basic Skills tests scores (teacher applicants only)
Content and Pedagogy test scores (if applicable)
An initial application for certification
A cover letter with your name, mailing address, last 4 digits of your social security number, date of birth, personal email address, and the area of certification you are seekin
Massachusetts Yes Upon application, candidates should submit an official transcript verifying possession of a bachelor’s degree. In addition to verifying one of the four routes referenced above, please submit the appropriate documentation noted below.

Applicants seeking Massachusetts licensure through the completion of a traditional program must submit an official transcript and an endorsement confirming completion of a state/jurisdiction approved program from the preparing higher education institution.
Applicants utilizing the employment option must submit a copy of their valid license and official verification of their employment.
Applicants that have completed a non-traditional approved program will need to submit official program completion documentation, an endorsement from the approved program and a copy of their valid license.
Applicants seeking licensure through completion of an educator preparation program sponsored by a college or university accredited by NCATE must submit an official transcript and an endorsement from the higher education institution validating completion of the program.

Michigan Maybe Temporary Teacher Employment Authorization:
If the applicant holds a valid, standard teaching certificate from another state, the
applicant can be issued a nonrenewable Standard Temporary Teacher
Employment Authorization (T2EA) that authorizes his/her employment in a
Michigan school for one year. The applicant can be employed as a teacher for a
year while working to pass the required tests. Additional time for testing is
allowable, but without T2EA validity.
Please note that once the T2EA has expired, the law requires the passage of the
tests and reciprocal evaluation for the Standard Teaching Certificate. The option
of the Professional Teaching Certificate as the initial Michigan certificate can no
longer be provided.
Minnesota Maybe Out-of-State Applicants

Foreign Credential Evaluation: Information on evaluation services for individuals trained outside of the United States or its territories.
Minnesota Teacher Licensure Testing Information
Tiered Licensure: On July 1, 2018, statute requires that all out-of-state teachers pass board-adopted content and pedagogy exams prior to receiving a Tier 3 license. An out-of-state teacher may apply for a Tier 2 license prior to passing exams if they are offered a position by a district.

A teacher who completes a teacher preparation outside of Minnesota can receive a Tier 3 license if the preparation program had field-specific student teaching equivalent to Minnesota requirements of 12 weeks for initial licensure and has passed Minnesota content and pedagogy exams.

A teacher who is has a professional license from another state can receive a Tier 3 license if the license is “in good standing,” the teacher has two years of teaching experience, and has passed Minnesota content and pedagogy exams.

Mississippi Maybe CATEGORIES
___Five-Year Teacher Education Route – Initial License (Applies to a graduate of a teacher education
program which included student teaching.)
‰ Licensure Application
‰ Transcript(s) (Sealed)
‰ Test Scores (Original)
___Approved Program Route (Applies to a licensed teacher who wishes to upgrade the license with an
advanced degree. This includes masters, specialist, and doctorate degrees.)
‰ Licensure Application
‰ Transcript of the advanced degree (Sealed)
( A masters, specialist or doctorate in Educational Leadership/Administration is specifically designated for
Administrator K-12 certification. With that degree, all Administrative requirements must be met before the class
level of the license can be upgraded.)
___Specific Five-Year Educator License (Applies to Guidance and Counseling, Audiologist, Emotional
Disability, Psychometrist, School Psychologist, Speech Pathologist*, Performing Arts**, and Child
‰ Licensure Application
‰ Transcript(s) (Sealed)
‰ Test Scores (Original)
‰ *Original ASHA Membership Card (ASHA Certified Speech Pathologists may omit submission of test scores.)
‰ **Validation of artistic competency (Required only for applicants for the Performing Arts License with a
degree in a non-Fine Arts area.)
‰ ***Verification of Accreditation/Child Development
___Five-Year Reciprocity License (Applies to applicants with a valid, clear and renewable out-of-state license.)
‰ Licensure Application
‰ Transcript(s) (Sealed)
‰ Original, valid, standard out-of-state teaching license (Photocopies are not accepted.)
___Two-Year Reciprocity License (Applies to applicants with a valid credential that is less than a standard or
provisional license from another state.)
‰ Licensure Application
‰ Transcript(s) (Sealed)
‰ Original, valid, out-of-state teaching license (Photocopies are not accepted.)
Missouri Yes You have completed an educational administration program from another state and wish to become certified in Missouri
An applicant who completed an educational administration degree program in another state and possesses a valid professional certificate in that state may be granted a Missouri certificate in an area most closely aligned to the certification if Missouri issues such certificate.  If an educator has completed an educational administration degree program in another state (either on campus or online), it would be beneficial to obtain that state’s certificate whether one plans to reside in that state or not.  If a professional certificate is not submitted, then the educator will be required to complete all required Missouri coursework and assessments.Complete the online Non-Missouri Graduate application.  All applicants for administrative areas of certification must also apply for a Missouri teaching certificate. The same application may be used to apply for both teaching and administrative areas of certification.
Submit remaining items on the Non-Missouri Graduate Application Checklist in one packet to Educator Certification, PO Box 480, Jefferson City, MO 65102.  We do not accept faxed or emailed application materials.
If you have out-of-state teaching and administrative experience, you will need to complete the Verification of Teaching Experience form.
As noted within the checklist, if your out-of-state professional certificates have expired, or if you have never held an out-of-state certificate, you must provide an institutional recommendation from the certification officer at the college or university where you completed your educational administration degree program. The recommendation form can be downloaded by clicking on the appropriate button when completing the online Non-Missouri Graduate Application. The form should be mailed back to you to be included in your packet.
Montana Maybe Important Considerations:
*Montana DOES NOT have reciprocity with any other state in regards to educator licensure. Therefore even though you may have been a licensed educator or administrator in another state, if you do not meet all of requirements above, you will not qualify for Class 3 Educator licensure in Montana.
*If you completed an alternative educator preparation program in another state, your program may not meet the requirements for licensure in Montana and therefore you may not qualify for Class 3 licensure. Your educator preparation program’s accreditation status must be verified on a University Recommendation form and submitted for review.
*You must qualify for a Montana teaching license to be considered eligible for an administrative license in Montana.
*For questions regarding these considerations please call us at 406-444-3150.

Completion of a Baccalaureate Degree

Completion of a Teacher Education Program at a state approved college or university

Completion of a Masters degree and an Education Administrative Program for Principal at a state approved college or university

Have completed sixty (60) graduate hours of Educational Administration or Educational Leadership coursework in an approved program for school administration

Two years of Administrative Work Experience

Completion of the Human Relations Training Requirement

Completion of the Special Education Training Program

Praxis – CORE Academic Skills (Basic Skills)

Praxis Subject Assessment – (Content Test)

Recent college credits or employment experience within the past immediate 5 years

Nevada Yes The state of Nevada offers the opportunity for out-of-state teachers to apply for Nevada Teaching Certification through “reciprocity” agreements. However, you must complete an Initial Teacher Certification application along with verification of your current teaching license and examination scores. You will be notified of any deficiencies in your application after a Certification Analyst reviews your material.
New Hampshire Maybe  If you are a graduate of an approved professional educator preparation program in a state or jurisdiction
other than New Hampshire and wish to apply for certification under Alternative 2, please submit the
(1) Completed Application for Certification. Candidates are encouraged to utilize the online application
process described on our website: .
(2) An original official transcript bearing the institutional recommendation for educator credentialing or an
official transcript plus an official statement from the certification coordinator or education chairperson of
the preparing institution attesting to your having completed its approved program.*
(3) Scores of all relevant testing (see Testing Information on page 2)
(4) A NON-REFUNDABLE application fee of $130.00. Payment may be made as part of the online
application process, otherwise make check payable to TREASURER, STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE.

Any applicant for administrative certification who presents a valid administrative certificate issued by any other state shall, upon payment of the appropriate fee, be issued a New Jersey administrative certificate of eligibility for the equivalent New Jersey endorsements for school administrator, principal, or school business administrator, or shall be issued the equivalent New Jersey standard supervisor endorsement. If there is no equivalent current New Jersey endorsement, then the provisions of N.J.A.C. 6A:9-12.1 through 12.7 shall apply to the candidate.

There is one limitation to this rule:

If New Jersey has an equivalent endorsement with required subject matter test for the applicant’s endorsement, the applicant shall have passed a state subject matter test to receive his or her out-of-State endorsement or else must pass the appropriate New Jersey subject matter test. This limitation shall not apply if the applicant has five years of experience in good standing under the out-of-State certificate. Experience in good standing shall be documented by a letter of experience from the applicant’s supervisor or authorized district representative.

New Mexico
New York
North Carolina Yes Professional Educator’s Continuing Licenses are intended for teachers with 3 or more years of teaching experience, and are valid for five years. Teachers who are fully licensed in another state who have three or more years of teaching experience AND who meet NC State Board of Education approved licensure exam requirements OR have National Board Certification are issued the Professional Educator’s Continuing License.
North Dakota
Ohio Maybe     Are you applying for an initial Ohio administrator license?

Professional principal license – You must have a minimum of two years of teaching experience under a standard teaching license (experience verification required).
Professional administrative specialist license – You must have two years of teaching experience under a standard teaching license, with the exception of the pupil services administration license, which requires two years of experience under a professional pupil services license (experience verification required).
Professional superintendent license – You must have three years of administrative experience (experience verification required).

Oklahoma Maybe Graduated from an accredited institution of higher education that has an approved teacher education program for the certification area sought
Successfully completed a higher education teacher education program approved by the Office of Educational Quality and Accountability (OEQA);
Meets all other requirements as established by the Oklahoma State Board of Education;
Successfully passed the three required competency examinations; and
Has on file with the Oklahoma State Board of Education a current clear Oklahoma criminal history record search from the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation as well as a current clear national criminal history record search from the Federal Bureau of Investigation;
Applied to Teacher Certification and submitted the appropriate processing feeORHold a full out-of-state certificate and meet standards set by the State Board of Education. Anything less than full certification will require review by Teacher Certification.
Oregon Maybe Special Reciprocity for Advanced Credentials

Yes. Applicants who hold a valid out-of-state license from a state that participates in NASDTEC may be able to bypass the Reciprocal Teaching License and immediately qualify for a Preliminary or Professional License. If you meet all of the reciprocal license requirements as well as the requirements for the Preliminary or Professional License, you may be eligible to apply for the license level that corresponds to your current out-of-state license. You can read about the Preliminary and Professional License requirements at the beginning of this article to determine if you might qualify.

Pennsylvania Maybe How do I qualify for certification?
Be of good moral character
Be at least 18 years of age
Be a United States citizen or a legal permanent resident holding a valid green card
Hold a minimum of a bachelor’s degree
Meet all testing requirements
Submit an online application through the Teacher Information Management System (TIMS)
Submit all required documentation verifying program completion and work experience (if applicable)
Rhode Island Yes Reciprocity – Reciprocity is recognition of preparation or certification in another state as comparable
to Rhode Island. Applicants seeking certification through reciprocity must demonstrate that they
meet all Rhode Island certification assessment requirements, hold the additional required certificate
and meet all experience requirements when applicable. Applicants can attain certification by
completing a state approved program for Educator Certification in a state other than Rhode Island
within the last 5 years OR by demonstrating that they hold a currently valid full certificate in another
South Carolina Yes

Adding Service and Leadership Fields
An educator who has advanced to a Professional certificate may add one of the following service or leadership fields through successful completion of an advanced program (master’s level or higher) that is approved by the State Board of Education for the preparation and certification of personnel in the specific field. A qualifying score on the subject area assessment for the certification field and the recommendation for certification from the institution are required.Elementary School Principal
Secondary School Principal
Elementary School Counselor
Secondary School Counselor
Library-Media Specialist
Speech Language Therapist
Vocational Center DirectorEligibility Criteria
In order to qualify to add a service or leadership field to a valid certificate, an educator must complete all of the following requirements:Complete an approved educator preparation program, at the master’s level or higher, through a regionally accredited college or university. The program must be approved for certification in the target field by the state in which the institution of higher education is located.
Earn a qualifying score on the Subject Area Assessment approved by the State Board of Education for certification purposes. (The PLT is not required for service and leadership fields).
Meet any additional criteria specified for the certification field in State Board of Education Regulation R 43-64 Requirements for Initial Certification at the Advanced Level.Reciprocity Experience Procedures
Receiving South Carolina Educator Certification
Initial Certification
Educators who hold a current standard out-of-state certificate in a comparable area without the required experience will receive an initial certificate in South Carolina and will be subject to induction and ADEPT requirements (formal evaluation while teaching) and the appropriate Principles of Learning and Teaching (PLT) examination (See Required Certification Examinations).

Professional Certification
Educators who present a current standard out-of-state certification/certificate are eligible for a comparable South Carolina professional certificate if they have at least three school years of teaching experience credit in an acceptable position (see Professional Certification Eligibility) in the last seven years on that valid standard certificate. Applicants cannot receive any administrative certification area through reciprocity unless qualifying for the professional certificate.

South Carolina Graduates
Please note that Graduates of in-state approved teacher preparation programs (South Carolina) who do not qualify for a reciprocal professional certificate and did not complete the South Carolina exam requirements to receive an initial South Carolina certificate must meet all South Carolina initial certification requirements, including the required Praxis II tests (See Initial/Uncertified Applicants). Graduates who did not complete the South Carolina exam requirements to receive an initial South Carolina certificate but qualify for a reciprocal professional certificate may apply for certification using a current and standard out-of-state certificate (See Reciprocity FAQ).

Professional Certification Eligibility
A professional certificate is a standard renewable certificate. It is valid for five years and can be renewed in accordance with Regulation R. 43-55 Renewal of Credentials. To qualify for a reciprocal professional certificate when transferring an out-of-state certificate, applicant experience must meet the following criteria:

Total of at least three years of experience credit.
Please refer to R 43-57.1 Computing Experience for Teachers in the Certification Regulations for additional information about calculating experience credit.

Have been earned within in the last seven school years
Please note that experience credit for the current school year is not officially recorded in the educator’s file until after September 1 of each year.

Have been earned in the same state of the certificate that is being transferred.
Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) certified educators can receive a professional certificate by combining a valid DoDEA certificate and DoDEA experience. The experience can be located in any country/state provided it was earned at a Department of Defense school.

Experience must have been earned in a position that required the government-issued educator license/certificate.
Acceptable educator experience must be verified by a school, district or agency approved performance evaluation system. Experience as a supply/substitute, paraprofessional, teaching assistant, or at the collegiate level does not apply towards educator experience that would qualify an applicant for a professional certificate. Acceptable positions include:

A U.S. or U.S. territory P-12 public school;
A U.S. or U.S. territory P-12 private school regionally accredited when the experience was earned;
A government agency while working in an education position that required maintenance of a valid professional educator certificate/certificate;
A school in a jurisdiction that has signed the NASDTEC Interstate Agreement, such as the District of Columbia, Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA), etc., as identified on the NASDTEC web site at; and
A kindergarten, pre-kindergarten, or Head Start Program, provided it is under the legal jurisdiction of a public school board of education or is regionally/state accredited.

South Dakota Yes Eligibility Requirements Received a teacher, administrator or educator specialist certificate in
another state.
Must complete full state-certification. May not be a temporary,
emergency, substitute or provisional certificate.
Completed a successful student teaching, internship, or field
Provide verification from the licensing state that there are no
disciplinary actions or ethics violations.
Tennessee Yes The ILL is valid for three years and may be renewed. To be issued the ILL using a recommendation from an out-of-state EPP, the applicant must:

be at least 18 years old;
hold a graduate degree from a regionally accredited college or university;
provide evidence of three (3) years qualifying pre-K-12 education working experience, using the experience verification form;
submit qualifying scores on required assessment(s)* (required assessment information can be found here);
ensure that the department has official transcripts of all credits earned through an institution of higher education. The transcript must be submitted by the institution of higher learning to through an approved clearinghouse, or mailed to 710 James Robertson Parkway, 12th Floor, Nashville, TN 37243. For more information, review the  Academic Transcripts Operating Procedures; and
have a recommendation from the out-of-state instructional leader preparation provider where the applicant completed preparation. All out-of-state instructional leader preparation programs must meet conditions stipulated in State Board Rule 0520-02-04.
*Out-of-state applicants who are unable to submit passing scores on the SLLA but have met all other requirements may be issued the Instructional Leadership License—Aspiring (ILL-A). The ILL-A allows educators to be hired as an assistant principal. Once qualifying scores are submitted, the educator may advance to the ILL.

Texas Maybe Important Note for Educators with Student Services or Administration Certification
If you hold a student services or administration certificate but do not hold a classroom teaching certificate, you will need to submit documentation of two years of acceptable school experience in the area of your certification. You must send acceptable documentation on an official school service record, located on the Out-of-State Test Exemptions page.
Vermont Yes Already licensed in another state?
Effective September 1, 2015, teachers who hold a current professional license from outside of Vermont will be given a Level I (3 year) license in the endorsement area delineated on their out-of-state license or a comparable VT endorsement.  The process can be found here.  See the states that have reciprocity here.
Virginia Yes Reciprocity – Conditions for licensure for out-of-state candidates by reciprocity.
A. An individual coming into Virginia from any state may qualify for a Virginia
teaching license with comparable endorsement areas if the individual has
completed a state-approved teacher preparation program through a regionally
accredited four-year college or university, or if the individual holds a valid out-ofstate
teaching license (full credential without deficiencies ) that must be in force
at the time the application for a Virginia license is made. An individual seeking
licensure must establish a file in the Department of Education by submitting a
complete application packet, which includes official student transcripts.
Professional teacher’s assessments prescribed by the Board of Education must be
B. An individual coming into Virginia will qualify for a Virginia teaching license
with comparable endorsement areas if the individual holds national certification
from the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) or a
nationally recognized certification program approved by the Board of Education.
C. Licensure by reciprocity is provided for individuals who have obtained a valid
out-of-state license (full credential without deficiencies) that is in force at the time
the application for a Virginia license is received by the Department of Education.
The individual must establish a file in the Department of Education by submitting
a complete application packet, which shall include official student
transcripts. Unless exempted by the criteria in subsection D of this section,
licensure assessments prescribed by the Board of Education shall be required.
D. Individuals who hold a valid out-of-state license (full credential without
deficiencies) and who have completed a minimum of three years of full-time,
successful teaching experience in a public or accredited nonpublic school
(kindergarten through grade 12) in a state other than Virginia are exempted from
the professional teacher’s assessment requirements
Washington Yes Residency Principal or Program Administrator
This application is for those principal and program administrator applicants who completed their preparation program in another state or have met the requirements below.The principal and program administrator roles are separated in the state of Washington.The Residency Principal Certificate is for school-level leadership as a principal, assistant principal or vice-principal
The Residency Program Administrator Certificate is for district-level leadership roles other than superintendent or assistant superintendent roles, e.g. director level positions. This certificate is not required by the state of Washington to be employed in a program administrator role. This is NOT the appropriate application for the first tier Superintendent Certificate. To find information regarding the Superintendent Certificate.
If you are unsure which application to complete based on your program or experience, please contact the Certification Office before submitting an application.Requirements
Completion of a master’s degree. Must submit official transcripts showing degree
Completion of a state approved administrator preparation program, or three years of full-time, out of state administrator experience. Form 4001E, Form 4020F-1
Submission of fingerprints for a background check is required, if a valid certificate is not already on record
Additional Requirements for Principal Certificates Only:
Hold or have previously held a regular teacher, educational staff associate or Initial/Continuing CTE Certificate
Verification of three years of successful school-based instructional experience in an educational setting. Form 4001F
West Virginia
Wisconsin Maybe Out-of-State Pathway

Candidate Profile
Bachelor’s degree
Completed an approved educator preparation program outside WI
Seeking Initial WI license
Seeking a Wisconsin License as an Out-of-State applicant?
People who fit this pathway profile have completed a state-approved educator preparation program at an accredited institution of higher education headquartered outside Wisconsin. They have also completed the testing requirements of that state and are eligible for licensure in that state. Candidates should apply for the Wisconsin license that most closely matches their out-of-state license. Upon application, a review will be completed to determine comparability with Wisconsin preparation, testing, and statutory requirements.

For out-of-state applicants to Wisconsin, the initial licensure is the first Wisconsin license for which an applicant applies.  In the review process, the DPI looks for the same elements of an approved program that we have in Wisconsin including: basic skills, content testing, major, pedagogical skills, clinical experience, and statutory requirements. The state superintendent made the following policy for teacher candidates who were prepared outside the state of Wisconsin and completed their initial educator preparation program on or after September 1, 2016:

“An out-of-state applicant with less than one year of teaching experience of at least one-half time employment in a PK-12, private, or charter school (not a tutoring site), must post a passing score on the edTPA effective September 1, 2016. If a candidate completed an edTPA as part of an educator preparation program in another state and received a passing score in that state, Wisconsin will honor the score as passing in Wisconsin. If the other state has not established a threshold for passing, the individual will need to meet the cut score established for Wisconsin.”

The cut scores that have been established for Wisconsin are:

38 for edTPA handbooks with 15 rubrics
32 for edTPA handbooks with 13 rubrics
45 for edTPA handbooks with 18 rubrics
If you fit this pathway profile:
DETERMINE the Wisconsin license that most closely matches the out-of-state license you hold and follow the steps identified here: Out-of-State Applicants
COMPLETE the Wisconsin testing requirements.  Elementary Educators, please see for more specific information.
UNDERSTAND the Wisconsin statutory and administrative rule requirements. Learn about the most common stipulations at Common Wisconsin Stipulations for Out-of-State Applicants
APPLY for a Wisconsin License using the ELO System.
If you have received an offer of employment from a Wisconsin school, have a valid license from another state, and have at least one year of experience under that license, you may be eligible to apply through our License Based on Reciprocity Pathway.

If you completed an alternative route program outside Wisconsin, use the Out-of-State Alternative Routes page to determine your best pathway.

For Frequently Asked Questions about the Out-of-State Pathway see the Frequently Asked Questions – Out-of-State page.

Wyoming Yes Requirements for Out-of-State Program completion applicants
Completion of an approved Educator Preparation Program
Program must be from an accredited college or university
Program must include student teaching and lead to an Institutional Recommendation (IR) for licensure
Note: In order for applicants to obtain an Institutional Recommendation form they must be eligible for licensure in the state in which the college or university is located.
Applicants do not have to obtain licensure in that state; however, they must be eligible for licensure. In some states, individuals may be required to complete testing for licensure in that state (i.e. applicants who have/will complete an Arizona program must complete the Arizona testing requirements and will not need to complete the Praxis exams required for Wyoming for initial licensure.)
Official transcripts documenting the completion of a teacher preparation program
Submission of 2 blue FBI Fingerprint Cards including a background check
Knowledge of the U.S. and Wyoming Constitutions
Teacher Testing Requirements
Submission of a complete application packet