Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What are your rights as a student seeking counseling?

  • To be treated with respect and dignity.
  • To ask and understand how the counselor works or what their experience is.
  • To expect the counselor will keep what you tell them, confidential to the service and their supervisor, unless there are concerns about your safety or the safety of others.
  • To stop attending counseling at any time for any reason.

What about my records?

All health information is kept on a secured medical database.

The counselor only keeps written records that are kept in a locked cabinet. The notes taken by the counselor are confidential and may only be seen by the counselor’s supervisor, or other counseling staff if there are safety issues to be considered. You may ask to see these at any time or have a copy of them if you wish. They remain the property of the counselor and once counseling has stopped they are stored.

How can you give feedback or voice a concern about the counseling or health service?

If you would like to give feedback both positive and negative, or you have a concern about any aspect of the counseling you have several options: You may –

  • Provide anonymous written feedback via the suggestions box located in the student center lobby
  • Discuss the matter with the staff member concerned (either on your own or with a support person).
  • Make an appointment with the Director of Student Health, Mrs. Maria Bedoya,, phone 305-628-6695
  • Make an appointment with the Dean of Students, Mr. Richard McNab,, phone 305-628-6554
  • Contact the President of your respective Campus Students Association.

Do I need to make an appointment or do you provide a drop-in service?

Appointments are preferred to avoid waiting, unless the visit relates to an urgent matter.

How much will it cost me as a student to see the nurse or the counselor?

There is no cost to see the nurse on campus or the counselor. Costs may incur if you are referred to services off campus.

Can my partner (non-student) use the service?

Clinic services are available to registered students only. The counselor may conduct a family session with the registered student, but may not see non-students for individual counseling.

Do I need to be referred to a counselor or can I just make an appointment?

You can contact us directly/self-refer. It is preferable to make a booking in advance.

If I need medical care after hours, where should I go?

If you require urgent medical care or accident/emergency care outside of our clinic hours (8am to 5pm) you may call the Jessie Trice After Hour Number at (305) 637-6400.