At St. Thomas University, we are committed to the success of our students inside and outside of the classroom. Our College to Career series will feature and celebrate STU Bobcats and their internship and first job experiences. Get to know STU Bobcat, Arianna Lupi, and about her first job experience with a digital marketing agency!
- Name: Arianna Lupi
- Major: Bachelor of Business Administration in International Business
- Graduation Year: May 2019
- Where do you work and what is your title? I’m a Search Engine Optimization(SEO) Account Manager for a remote digital marketing agency, Outreach Humans which is based in Barcelona, Spain.
- How did you find out about your job and secure it? I found my current job by connecting with and establishing relationships with professionals on LinkedIn, I connected with people that were working in the field I aspired to work in. I met my current manager because I sent him a direct message. A few days later, we met through a video call. Shortly after that call, we were working together. When I first met my manager, the agency was a small project. The agency quickly grew and so did my responsibilities. By showing my confidence, highlighting my skill set and being persistent, I secured my position.
- What does a day at work look like? I work from home. I wake up around 8:30 am and spend my morning sipping on my favorite tea and catching up on emails. My day then consists of back and forth emails with clients and partners. As an SEO Account Manager, my job entails helping different companies bring more traffic to their websites by improving their rankings on Google. Most of the companies I work with are software companies or Business to Business (B2B) companies. Search Engine Optimization is important because it increases the visibility of a companies website to users, which means they earn more exposure and sales.
- What’s your favorite part about your job? I love that I’m able to help companies grow and become the best versions of themselves digitally. I also like the idea that there are no limits on who we work with since we are 100% remote. I’m working with so many different clients from various industries. For example, I’ve worked with Wealthsimple, one of the top Canadian online brokerages. I’ve also worked with G2, one of the biggest software review companies in the world. Some other software clients I’ve worked with include: Holded, Lodgify and Slite.
- What challenges have you faced at your first job and how have you overcome them? I’ve faced challenges with making my voice heard, setting expectations about my goals within the company, and believing in myself to then have others believe in me as well. Since this position has always been remote I’ve never met my team, which means there’s a lot of trust and ownership in what I do. My team is also on a different time zone, so I’m held accountable and have to ensure that I’m communicating clearly and in a timely manner.
- How does your job connect back to your coursework and extracurricular activities at STU? My day-to-day responsibilities demand a lot of professional communication skills and many presentations to clients and partners. Thanks to every group project and presentation I delivered throughout the Business school at St. Thomas, I’m a much better speaker and presenter now.
- What advice do you have for Bobcats that are starting the job hunt? Do not apply to hundreds of jobs. Apply to one or two positions per day where you really think you’d be a great fit and give all your energy to those positions. Contact and connect with recruiters and hiring managers directly. Make your resume and profile stand out. Use LinkedIn as much or even more that you use Instagram or Tik Tok, it pays off.
- Describe your job in a GIF?
Learn more about how Career Services can help you find the right internship or job for you!
Interested in sharing your internship or first job experience with STU News? Reach out to Michelle Tulande at firstname.lastname@example.org.