BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN FIRE AND EMERGENCY SERVICES MANAGEMENT
FINISH YOUR DEGREE IN ONLY 15 MONTHS!
The BS in Fire and Emergency Services Management is a 15- months online program design to develop future leaders and officers in the fire and emergency service of the knowledge and understanding of public policy and integration, personnel management, managing operations and training, managing emergency medical services and managing fire prevention divisions in a fire and rescue department. It includes research and development, disaster and risk planning, community risk assessment, budgeting, labor relation, personnel development and fiscal management, collective bargaining, occupational health and safety, and conflict resolutions as part of the curriculum.
The Bachelor of Science in Fire and Emergency Services Management program is based on the National Fire Academy’s Fire and Emergency Higher Education Program (FESHE). It is a Southern Accreditation of Colleges and Universities (SAC) accredited upper level program that caters to the educational needs of the fire and emergency service industry and its’ professionals. It is designed to assist firefighters, Emergency Medical Technician and Emergency Management personnel who desire to advance to administrative, management, leadership, and supervisory positions. Courses are in an accelerated format and completely online. It gives working firefighters and emergency services personnel the opportunity to be enrolled in college while keeping full-time jobs and maintain their responsibility to their families.
- You are guaranteed to feel included and not just a number in our school with our small classes and involved professors
- Students can choose to participate in exciting internships with government agencies at the local, state, and federal levels, although some may find a position in the private sector
- Provides students with the leadership skills, intellectual tools and practical knowledge needed to develop your critical thinking, communication, and leadership skills
- More than 90% of our students have advanced in their ranks or became leaders in their profession
- Students can be awarded with a combination of scholarships, grants, and employment opportunities.
- Students who earn bachelor’s degree of Science in Fire and emergency service management will be top candidates for niche roles in their field of expertise. Some of the most popular career pathways for these degree-holders include:
- Emergency management directors
- Fire and Emergency Service Administrators
- Disaster and Risk managers
- Public Safety Administrators
- Social and community services managers
- Homeland Security Officer
- Public Safety and Health Preparedness
- Hospital Emergency Preparedness Administrator
- Average salary for Emergency Management Program is more than $80,500
- More than 209,000 Emergency Service Management jobs in the U.S. are unfilled
- Worldwide shortage of Emergency Planning professionals: 3 million openings
- There are many career opportunities for highly trained emergency managers in public service—either in government or in sectors like education, healthcare, and private business. Whatever your professional background is, there is likely an area of emergency management that will fit your specific interests.
INTERNSHIP AND JOB PLACEMENT OPPORTUNITIES
St. Thomas University is dedicated to assisting its students in connecting with employment and advancement opportunities, whether those opportunities are on or off campus. St. Thomas University provides students with career planning resources, career services, on- and off-campus employment, including internship, Work-Study, and Graduate Assistant ship Program.
CURRICULUM (Course Sampling)
FES 3153 Fire and Emergency Services Technology
FES 3714 Managing Fire Suppression and Rescue Operations and Training
FES 3045 Fire and Emergency Services Personnel Management
FES 4223 Managing Emergency Medical Services
SOC 460D Conflict and Conflict Resolution
FES 4715 Advance Fire and Emergency Services Administration
Dr. Arthur L. Holmes, Sr.Program Coordinator/Director
Instructor of Fire and Emergency Services ManEdD Leadership and Management, St Thomas University; M.S.M., St. Thomas University; Graduate Certificate Human Resource Administration, St. Thomas University, B.S.T., Barry University
Office: Dooner Hall
Dr. Arthur L. Holmes, Sr. is an Instructor in the School of Professional Studies at St. Thomas University. He is currently program coordinator and director for the Bachelor of Science in Fire and Emergency Services (FESM) program. Dr. Holmes earned his Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Technology from Barry University, his Master of Science in Management (M.S. M) and Gradate Certificate in Human Resource Administration from St. Thomas University and his Doctoral degree (Ed.D) in Leadership/Management from St. Thomas University.
Prior to joining faculty in 2012, Dr. Holmes retired from the fire service after at the rank of Assistant Chief for Operations and Training. During his 32 years, he advanced through ranks, attend the Executive Fire Officer Program at National Fire Academy, and held many national and state certifications including paramedic, fire officer, inspector and instructor. His experience includes various roles as fire service administrator such as chief fire prevention, chief of policy and procedures, chief of training, chief community services and chief of north and central operations. He taught for many years at the junior college level fire technology and entry level firefighting.
Request InformationApply Now