Tuition, Housing & Travel
Tuition & Expenses
Summer in Spain Tuition*
$7975 Total Program Fee (with double occupancy† room)
- $75 Registration Fee (Non-refundable unless student is refused admission)
- $7900 Composite Fee (Includes tuition, double-occupancy† room and board, breakfast, and mid-day meal for 31 nights. Details below.)
† Note: Single occupancy rooms require an additional $900 to be paid concurrently with the Composite Fee. (Limited availability – first-come-first-served)
* Only students who have completed their first year of law school and are in good standing may apply and attend the Summer in Spain program. Please see the Policies and Disclosures of your law school for additional information.
Registration/Deposit Fee Schedule
- $75 Registration Fee due at time of online application (Registration fee is non-refundable, unless applicant is refused admission)
- $7,900 Composite Fee
- Students Applying for Financial Aid: Students applying for financial aid should contact their student loan advisor as soon as possible. Payment of the balance of the composite and program fees will be deferred until the student receives their financial aid/loan checks.
- Students Not Applying for Financial Aid: Students not applying for financial aid for the Spain program must pay one half of the balance of the composite fee(s) by April 2, and any remaining balance by April 30.
If an applicant is refused admission, the application and any deposit fee will be refunded. In the event that the program is cancelled, all payments will be refunded.
Tuition includes a double occupancy‡ room for 31 nights at the Hotel Florida. Tuition also includes a large breakfast buffet each morning and a 3 course, mid-day meal served following the afternoon class session. The 3-star hotel is a short 5 minute walk from where classes are held and meals are provided.
‡ A limited number of single occupancy rooms are available at an additional charge of $900. Single occupancy rooms are assigned on a first-come-first-served basis. Please specify this request at the time of your application. Housing selections made at the time of registration are considered to be permanent. Changes to the housing selection are not guaranteed, can only be made by the Program Director, and will only be granted in limited circumstances. If you need to request a change to your housing selection, please complete the Housing Selection Change Request form.
Hotel Florida provides the following accommodations:
- Air conditioning
- Color TV
- Private bath
- Dining facilities
- Internet access
- Public spaces for studying and socializing
Students are also provided a one-month membership to the Community Sports complex, located about a 20 minute walk or a 10 minute bus ride from the Hotel. The Community Sports complex includes a workout room with modern machines and free weights, three swimming pools, tennis courts, basketball courts, soccer fields, a running track, and other recreational facilities.
Included meals and classes take place at Hotel Florida’s sister property, Hotel Los Lanceros. Los Lanceros is a modern facility with a beautiful glass enclosed dining room overlooking a park. The classrooms are in modern conference rooms equipped with state of the art technical capabilities. Classrooms hold up to 70 students, and a larger formal lecture room holds up to 90 people.
Students attending the Summer in Spain Program are expected to make their own arrangements for transportation to and from Spain. Early booking is advised. We advise that students plan their travel for arrival in Spain at the Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport in Madrid.
The Adolfo Suárez Madrid-Barajas Airport is approximately 35 miles from El Escorial. Transport from the airport to El Escorial can be accomplished by bus, train, or private car. Using public transport, whether bus or train, will require several transfers to reach El Escorial from the Madrid airport. Private cars and taxis offer a more direct route, but are generally much more expensive. Read below for further details.
By Private Car
- Many private car and taxi services provide service to and from El Escorial from the Madrid airport. While these services are far faster and more direct than the train or bus services, they are much more costly, often €80 or more each direction. We recommend that participants wishing to use a private car service coordinate with other participants and arrange to travel from the airport to El Escorial as a group, so as to share the cost of transport.
- To reach El Escorial by suburban bus, take Metro Line 8 (Pink Line) from the airport until the Nuevos Ministerios station.
- Then change to the Metro Line 6 (Grey Line) to the Moncloa station.
- The Metro rate to and from Moncloa is approximately €1.50 each way. For detailed information on rates, routes, and schedules, please visit the homepage of the Madrid Metro.
- The Moncloa station in a large transit hub with metro, bus, and commuter rail stations. At Moncloa, transfer to bus Bus 661 or 664. Route 661 and 664 take approximately 50 minutes to reach El Escorial after departing Moncloa and runs from approximately 06:55-00:30 (6:55 AM – 12:30 AM), with reduced hours on weekends and holidays.
- The El Escorial bus terminal is a 5-10 minute walk from the Hotel Florida.
- To reach El Escorial by train, take the regional commuter train, Line C8a or Line C3, from the Atocha or the Chamartin rail stations. Madrid regional commuter trains are operated the Spanish national rail company, Renfe.
- To reach the Atocha station from the airport:
- Take Metro Line 8 (Pink Line) from the airport until the Nuevos Ministerios station.
- Transfer to the Metro Line 10 (Dark Blue) until the Tribunal station.
- Transfer to the Metro Line 1 (Light Blue)
- To reach the Charmartin station from the airport:
- Take Metro Line 8 (Pink Line) from the Airport until the Nuevos Ministerios station.
- Transfer to the Metro Line 10 (Dark Blue) until the Chamartin Station.
- Alternatively, taxi service is available from the airport to either of these stations.
- The journey to El Escorial station is approximately 65 minutes from Atocha station and 55 minutes from Charmartin station and is approximately €10 for a one-way trip.
- The El Escorial station is a 20-30 minute walk from the Hotel Florida. The walk from the train station is approximately 1.25 miles, largely up hill, and not ideal for those with large amounts of luggage. There is, however, regular bus service between the train station and El Escorial bus terminal. The fair is approximately €1 each way.
- Note: Rail services operated by Renfe, the Spanish national rail service, generally do not operate overnight. Rail service can usually be expected between 05:45 and 23:30 (5:45 AM – 11:30 PM). Travelers are encouraged to check Renfe’s rail schedule for detailed information.