At St. Thomas University, we are committed to the success of our students inside and outside of the classroom. Our Law School to Career series will feature and celebrate STU Bobcats and their internship and first job experiences. Get to know STU Bobcat, Yesenia Alfonso, and about her first job experience with Broward County Attorney’s Office.
- Name: Yesenia Alfonso
- J.D./ LL.M/ Concentration/ Certificates: J.D.
- Graduation Year: 2019
- Where do you work and what is your title? Broward County Attorney’s Office – Aviation Department, Assistant County Attorney
- How did you find out about your job and secure it? I found out about my job after interning with Broward County Attorney’s Office as a Summer Law Clerk. I found out about the summer clerkship program through the STU on-campus interviews.
- What does a day at work look like? I mostly do transactional work. I draft agreements, amendments to agreements, resolutions, etc.
- What’s your favorite part about your job? My favorite part about my job is that every day is different and I am constantly learning something new.
- What challenges have you faced at your first job and how have you overcome them? The challenge I faced as a new attorney was starting from zero and having to figure things out without having a background in it. I overcame this challenge by taking it day by day, asking questions, and just continuing to learn.
- How does your job connect back to your coursework and extracurricular activities at STU? My job relates a lot to my coursework and extracurricular activities at STU. My legal writing classes connect back to my job because I do a lot of writing. I drafted legal documents at STU before starting my first job. Also, my job connects back to STU Law Review because of the teamwork, review process, and writing.
- What advice do you have for Bobcats that are starting the job hunt? Be patient, be open-minded, and apply to jobs early.
Learn more about how Career Services can help you find the right internship or job for you!
If you’re interested in sharing your internship or first job experience with STU News? Reach out to Yamile Rodriguez at firstname.lastname@example.org.