Loan Exit Counseling

In accordance with federal regulations, students who graduate or are no longer attending school at least half-time and received federal student loans are required to complete a Federal Student Loan Exit Counseling.  Failure to complete this requirement may result in a hold being placed on your account for graduation or release of official transcripts. If you did not borrow federal student loans while attending St. Thomas University, you do not need to complete a Loan Exit Counseling.

For your convenience you may complete this federal requirement online by visiting the U.S. Department of Education’s National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) for Students website at, and selecting Exit Counseling.

You will need the following information to complete this requirement.

  • Your Federal Student-Aid Identification (FSAID) login.
  • Three personal references, including U.S. addresses and telephone numbers.
  • Employer name, address and phone number (if known).

The Loan Exit Counseling session should take approximately 15 to 30 minutes to complete, and you will have the opportunity to print a certificate of completion for your records at the end of the session.

The Loan Exit Counseling is designed to provide you with information regarding your loan repayment options, deferments, forbearances, and consolidation of your federal student loans, as well as information about the consequences of defaulting on federal student loans. Additional information may be obtained by visiting the United States Department of Education’s website at, or contacting your loan servicer.

To obtain your Federal Loan History as well as obtain contact information for your loan holders and servicers, please visit the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) at, and select Financial Aid Review.

If you borrowed a private loan while attending St. Thomas University, please contact your lender for information on repayment options and incentives for your loans.

In addition, Exit Counseling Guide Booklets are available for you to pick up at the Law School’s Registrar’s Office, or by clicking here.