Master of Science in Big Data Analytics
The 1-year, 30-credit MS in Big Data Analytics program provides analytical skills that are needed in the fast-growing fields of big data, data mining, and machine learning. The program focuses on preparing students to formulate strategies and make critical decisions based on real, large scaled data. The curriculum covers core concepts of computer programming, data mining, machine learning, data warehousing, and data visualization, all using real-world applications and modern tools. With the degree, a graduate can pursue fields in data science and data analytics, analytical marketing, and data engineering.
Students will study:
- Data Visualization
- Data Engineering and Data Warehousing
- Data Mining
- Statistical Models
- Forecasting and Predictive Analytics
- Machine Learning
- Application principles to sharpen their organizational and technical competencies to implement data gathering, cleansing, integration and modeling tasks and data asset analysis
The MSBDA is aimed at students who wish to become data scientists and analysts in various fields such as:
- Biomedical Informatics Research
- Social Network
- Marketing and SEO
- New Media
- Other information intensive groups generating and consuming large amounts of data
The focus of the degree is on the scientific theories and engineering applications of data analytics for solving big data problems.
The unique features of this program that distinguishes its curriculum are: a.) a focus on offering contemporary and practical courses and projects in big data platform administration including data warehouse, data mining, data visualization and intelligence engineering management, b.) an emphasis on providing internship to cultivate the big data problem solving skills as data scientists or data engineers, and c.) an international perspective on big data technology and market services.
STU Technology Clubs and Announcements
MS Big Data Analytics Degree Highlights
- Competitively priced tuition →
- Gain valuable programming and analytical experience as you apply advanced scientific theories to solve complex Big Data problems.
- Become an in-demand candidate for the many exciting roles in Data Analytics.
- Learn the communication skills necessary to help businesses interpret data and make strategic decisions.
- A STEM degree program, covering modern analytical technologies, social media analyses, and artificial intelligence techniques.
According to the State of Business Intelligence Software and Emerging Trends from A Forrester Research study showed that business analytics is the fastest growing category of global IT software expenditures, and approximately 69% of businesses are interested in using analytics.
- Our graduates will be able to find jobs in businesses as Data Administrators and Data Scientists
- The demand to hire Big Data Analytics graduates is increasing
- 73% of organizations have already invested or plan to invest in big data
If you’re interested in learning more about the exciting career opportunities available in the field of data analytics, check out our blog:
Curriculum (Course Sampling)
Courses are offered once an academic year, following the below sequence.
|Course Number||Course Name||Prerequisite||Semester|
|MAT 502||Statistical Methods||None||Fall|
|CIS 541||Fundamentals of Big Data Analytics||None||Fall|
|MAT 602||Applied Machine Learning||CIS 541 and MAT 502||Fall|
|CIS 543||Programming for Big Data Analytics||CIS 541 and MAT 502||Fall|
|CIS 544||Data Mining and Machine Learning||CIS 543 and MAT 602||Spring|
|CIS 548||Data Engineering||None||Spring|
|CIS 545||Big Data Warehousing||CIS 548||Spring|
|CIS 546||Data Visualization||CIS 544||Spring|
|CIS 626||Big Data Analytics Applications||MAT courses and CIS 5XX courses||Summer|
|CIS 627||Big Data Analytics Capstone||CIS 626||Summer|
Students in the MBA program that pursue a data analytics concentration, must take: CIS 541, CIS 543, CIS 544, and CIS 546