Career Services fosters relationships with employers to facilitate employment opportunities to students and alumni for full-time, part-time, and internship opportunities. We combine one-on-one career advising with the latest in career-related technology, including an internet-based system for professional, internship, and part-time openings and resume referrals.
Scheduling an Appointment:
If you are a student, you may schedule an appointment online by simply clicking here and selecting Career Services under Services. You will then see the available time slots on the calendar, and choose the day and time that works best for you.
Alumni, services are available to you for life. If you are thinking of switching careers or would like to opt to a higher-level position in your organization, we are here to help you design your job search strategy and ultimately land that position. Simply contact our office by phone (305-628-6577) or email (email@example.com) to schedule an appointment.
Services available to students and Alumni:
On-Campus Students may be eligible to participate in the federal or STU work-study program, or work with one of the campus vendors. Schedule an appointment to learn more about these opportunities.
Off-Campus Students have access to job postings, internships, volunteer opportunities, and more through our career management tool – Handshake. Sign in at https://stu.joinhandshake.com.
Use your STU username and password to log into the system. If you experience technical issues, please contact Handshake’s support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is strongly recommended that a student have his/her résumé critiqued, before applying to jobs to ensure the résumé is professional. Students will find professional full-time, part-time, and internship opportunities. Résumé referral services will be provided on a one-on-one basis based on the student/alumni interest and profile.
Alumni, whether you are looking for the next step in your career or interested in recruiting from your alma mater, we are here to help you through the process 24/7! Our career management tool, Handshake, makes it easy for you. Simply contact the Career Services Office at 305.628.6577 or email us at email@example.com and we will open a Handshake account for you with your personal email address. If you are looking to recruit our talented students and alumni, then log into https://su.joinhandshake.com and click on Employers to create a profile and start recruiting fellow Bobcats. If you experience technical issues, please contact Handshake’s support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once a Bobcat, always a Bobcat!
For a list of job search engines, click here.
Students are encouraged to complete an internship during their program of study. For some majors (business), it is a requirement. Students may be exposed to other experiential learning opportunities, such as shadowing experiences, mentoring, volunteering, etc.
Steps to Follow:
- Contact the designated Academic Advisor to register for the internship course;
- Meet with Ms. Cristina C. López, Director of Career Services (305.628.6577, email@example.com), to start the process of searching for the internship and preparing the application materials (résumé, cover letter, etc.);
- Complete applications to several internships;
- Interview with company representatives;
- Once the internship has been secured, the student will notify both the designated Academic Advisor and Ms. López of the internship placement, including contact information of internship supervisor and internship duties.
- International students cannot engage in an internship / CPT (Curricular Practical Training), without first meeting with the International Student Advisor for immigration approval. Please contact Mr. Jerry Debe, Assistant Director of International Student & Scholar Services, 305.474.6008, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The student is required to start the process of finding an internship one semester prior to the desired start date. Download and complete the Internship Application.
Access internships on a couple of platforms:
Handshake: Handshake is a career management tool for students and alumni seeking internship and job opportunities. Students may log in using their STU email and password. Alumni should call or email us (305-628-6577, email@example.com) with your personal email to request to get an account created. If you experience technical issues while logging into Handshake, please contact Handshake’s support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Talent Development Network (TDN): Linking students with industry, The Talent Development Network is an innovative economic and career development program that matches Miami-Dade students with paid internship positions in local companies. To view a list of current positions, click on: http://home.tdnmiami.com/students/
Career Expos are hosted on-campus bringing a variety of employers twice a year, in the Fall and Spring semesters.
Wednesday, September 26th, 11:00am – 2:00pm, Goldbloom Convocation Hall (University Library, 1st floor)
STU Students & Alumni:
- Bring plenty of résumés;
- Research the companies that will be at the Career Expo;
- Dress to impress (business attire is a MUST, especially for juniors and seniors, graduate students, and alumni);
- FREE business cards for the first 100 students to RSVP for the event by 11:55 PM Sept. 18th at https://stu.joinhandshake.com/career_fairs/7226/student_preview;
- FREE headshots for students to use for their LinkedIn profiles (between 12:15pm and 1:30pm);
- Mobile unit by CareerSource South Florida located by the 32nd Ave entrance – get a final review of your résumé before going into the Career Expo!
- FREE registration includes lunch and a booth for up to two (2) company representatives;
- Recruit for internships, part-time, seasonal, temp-to-hire, and full-time opportunities;
- Review STU’s academic programs at https://www.stu.edu/academics/index.html;
- Donations are welcomed; bring a check payable to STU Career Services or make an online contribution at https://go.stu.edu/pay (select “Career Expo” under payment type);
- RSVP by 11:55 PM Sept. 24th at https://app.joinhandshake.com/career_fairs/7226/employer_preview?token=jvVHvOxBM-rSH93KFel-tovWdPnlFAUPkEpqqc4Ypq4LRVkkFhb6Yg.
Wednesday, February 20th ,2019 11:00am – 2:00pm, Goldbloom Convocation Hall (University Library, 1st floor)
Services available to employers:
We are excited to offer to you the opportunity to advertise your employment opportunities (full-time jobs, part-time jobs, temporary positions, etc.) as well as other experiential learning opportunities (internships, community service, volunteer positions) to the students and alumni of St. Thomas University – free of charge.
To do so, simply complete your profile and start posting your positions on our career management tool, Handshake, at https://stu.joinhandshake.com . If you experience technical issues, please contact Handshake’s support team at email@example.com
Thank you for your valuable partnership with St. Thomas University!
Your Career Services team
If you do not currently have an internship program and need guidance on setting one up, we can help you! We designed this brochure to help you.
Feel free to call us at 305-625-6577 to get started on setting up an internship program at your organization today!
Meet the staff
(Dooner Hall 105 & 200 )
Services Social Media