Financial Aid Advisor for Undergraduate and Graduate Online Programs
Within a centralized financial aid services environment the Financial Aid Advisor for Undergraduate and Graduate Online Programs evaluates, approves, and awards financial aid to students in accordance with federal, state, and university regulations, policies and operating guidelines. Assesses financial needs of students, and advises students and parents regarding financial aid options, processes, and requirements. Evaluates student Standard of Academic Progress (SAP), and SAP appeals submitted by students. Participates as appropriate in assignments, in accordance with the overall objectives of the department.
The Financial Aid Advisor will work directly with students via phone and email to develop and finalize student financial plans consistent with financial planning policies and procedures. Will support our online offerings and St. Thomas University’s partnership with the online programs.
· Bachelor’s Degree required.
· 3+ year’s previous experience in student financial aid or higher education. Demonstrated experience in student financial aid directly related to financial aid counseling, eligibility determination, needs analysis, verification, and packaging.
· Considerable knowledge of federal financial aid programs and supporting regulations.
· Skill in researching regulatory information and resolving complex financial questions.
· Understanding of current tax regulations and the implications of such regulations on financial aid.
· Ability to interpret and explain complex regulations and policies to a diverse audience, both in one-on-one sessions and group presentations.
· Background in operating a computer and navigating various systems.
· Ability to defuse difficult, angry, or emotional situations with students and/or parents.
· Ability to prioritize and manage a significant case load.
· Operate a variety of office equipment and work independently.
· Position requires some evening and weekend work hours.
· Ability to effectively communicate in oral and written form.
Job Type: Full-time
APPLICATION PROCESS: Send cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three (3) professional references to:
MS Word or PDF attachments only.
St. Thomas University is an E-Verify® Equal Opportunity Employer.
All employees are required to pass a criminal background screening and official degree transcripts will be required upon hire.