STU IMPACT will gather 40 current freshmen through senior high school youth both from South Florida and from throughout the State for eight days intensive experience in Catholic theological formation. During this time, participants will learn from renowned speakers, theology scholars, and from hands-on experience in service-justice immersion activities. The Institute seeks to help youth explore their faith as it relates to their calling in the church and the world. Throughout the program youth will discuss critical issues and contemporary situations that affect their lives now and in the future.
St. Thomas University’s Youth Theological Initiative is a residential learning community grounded in the Catholic faith. At St. Thomas, we believe that God wants each young person to live a happy and meaningful life and discover how his or her gifts can contribute to the transformation of the world according to the values of Jesus and the Kingdom of God. We are committed to forming leaders for life and helping young people develop their gifts in the service of others.
When: June 13, 2020 to June 20, 2020
On Campus Experience
Participants will be immersed in an experience that includes on and off campus activities designed to invigorate faith and serve community. For the duration of the program, youth will live on the campus of STU with other participants, under the supervision of a team of trained young adult counselors/facilitators and adult staff.
Youth participating in the institute will be involved in the following activities:
- Eight-day residential immersion experience, including meals and lodging
- Formal theological education
- Daily prayer, worship, and exploration of the Scriptures
- Participation in planning and implementing worship experiences
- Small group sessions
- Recreational activities
- Off-campus engaged learning opportunities including an immersion experience at Immokalee to learn about the work of the Coalition of Immokalee Workers, which promotes farmworkers rights, and an ecology field activity at a local beach.
- Youth Initiated Service Learning Projects implemented at their home parish or community. Projects will be presented at the convocation, and best projects will be selected to present at next year’s STU IMPACT.
Please click here to download Application.
- Application form signed by both the youth participant and parent/guardian affirming their willingness for the youth to complete the entire program including the service-justice project.
- Personal essay reflecting on what you hope to gain from participating in STU IMPACT. Please explain your reasons for wanting to participate and describe a service project you would like to implement for your parish. Letter of recommendation from Pastor, Youth Minister, Campus Minister, Teacher, etc.
- Cost for the program is $500. Thanks to the generous support of the Lilly Endowment, youth can participate at this reduced cost
- Scholarship Application: In a short essay, please explain how a scholarship would enable you to participate in the program.
For questions, please contact: STUIMPACT@stu.edu