St. Thomas concluded the first season in program history, in winning fashion, defeating the Faulkner Eagles 24-14 on Saturday afternoon from Jones Field at Monsignor Pace High School. Bobcat Quarterback, Kalani Ilimaleota – Adams, led three scoring drives in the first half; a ten-yard rushing touchdown and two passing touchdowns in the final two minutes. The Bobcat defense, led by Jayson Contreras and Michael Torrence, held the Eagles to 240-yards for the game and forced four turnovers in the win. Late in the fourth quarter, with the Eagles driving, Contreras forced a fumble and Kahlil Bryan returned it 67-yards, which set-up the game-sealing field goal by Billy McConnell.
This was after the Bobcats nearly pulled off the upset of the 2019 season, losing to No. 10 Keiser 39-32 on Saturday, November 9. STU went into halftime leading 24-12, as Keyshon Gardner had two rushing touchdowns.
Other top highlights from the weeks November 4-18 include:
- Women’s Basketball:
- St. Thomas has opened the 2019 – 20 season, going 2-1. Sophomore forward, Gianni Domond, led the Bobcats to the team’s second win of the season, recording a double-double (18-points, 11-rebounds) in a 72-35 win over Johnson University on November 8.
- They then played two games against NCAA DII opponent, Palm Beach Atlantic and NAIA No. 2 Southeastern last week. Anari Dozier led the Bobcats in the game against PBA, scoring 27-points and shot 50% from beyond the arc. STU opened Sun Conference play against the second-ranked Southeastern Fire on Saturday, with Keiana Brooks scoring 12-points. St. Thomas takes on Warner University on Thursday, November 21.
- Men’s Basketball:
- Opened the D.P. Harris-era with a dominant 89-67 win over Point Park (PA.) on Saturday, November 9. Justin Brown scored 26 points on 7-11 shooting and added six rebounds. The Bobcats open Sun Conference play on Saturday, November 16, in Lakeland, Fla.
- Opened Sun Conference play against Southeastern University on Saturday evening, losing 85-75. Senior guard, Justin Brown scored a game-high, 29-points on 44% shooting, while adding six assists. The Bobcats travel to Lake Wales to take on No. 21 Warner on Thursday, November 21.
- Cross Country:
- NAIA All-American, Susana Gutierrez, Andrea Peterson and Sun Conference Freshman of the Year, Tommy Cardenas head to Vancouver, WA. to represent St. Thomas at the NAIA National Championship Race. The race will be held on Friday, November 22.
- Men’s and Women’s Cross Country teams competed in the Sun Conference Championship race from Hardeeville, S.C. over the weekend. The women’s team placed fourth, in a nine-team field and will be represented in the NAIA National Championship by senior, Susana Gutierrez and junior, Andrea Peterson, as the pair received at-large bids. It is Gutierrez’s third appearance in the Cross Country National Championship Race, while it is Peterson’s second. On the men’s side, the team placed third. Tommy Cardenas, earned Freshman of the Year honors and a bid to the NAIA National Championship, as the lone representative for the Bobcats.
- Men’s Soccer:
- St. Thomas hosted the Sun Conference Semifinals on Bobcat Field and had a rematch with Johnson & Wales University [JWU defeated STU in the Quarterfinals in 2018]. The Bobcats fell in Penalty Kicks, 4-3, and await the NAIA Selection show on Monday, November 18 at 12 p.m. CST
- We are awaiting the decision by the NAIA Selection Committee, to determine if the Bobcats are headed to the NAIA Opening Round of the NAIA National Championship. The link to the live-stream can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/PlayNAIA/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARAbg2_i3MeV0Ery6KTtficPoBrhDGYkR0kiBJ8FRtYEfm_rTQN1TN2YL-M5JqWEDfPH2I-p8WG9g-8y
- Women’s Soccer: defeated SCAD – Savannah 1-0 in the Sun Conference Quarterfinals on Saturday, November 9. Katharina Jullich scored the game-winning goal in the 63rd minute. Following the win over SCAD, STU advanced to the Sun Conference Semifinals and took on the No. 1 team in the NAIA, Keiser. The Bobcats lost 6-1 to the Sun Conference Champions, ending their season.
- Volleyball: the 2019 season ended in a five-set match against Florida Memorial, in the Sun Conference Quarterfinals. Tyran Chenault finished leading the Sun Conference in blocks (116) setting the single-season record at St. Thomas.