What To Bring With You
Because the VITA program offers its services only once a week, it is important that you review and bring ALL of the necessary documents in order to prepare your return. Furthermore, the VITA program operates on a first-come-first-serve basis, only clients who have all of the necessary documents will be have their tax returns prepared. Please note: any missing information or documentation will result in a delay in the preparation of your tax return.
Documents which MUST be provided in order to have your tax return prepared::
- Government issued identification (expired identification cannot be accepted) for you and your spouse (to prepare and file your taxes on a married-filing-jointly return, BOTH spouses MUST be present, for a married-filling-separate return, the name of your spouse with their social security number is required).
- Original Social Security Cards for you, your spouse, and ALL dependents. An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse, or dependents if you do not have a Social Security Number.
- Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents being listed on the tax return.
- Identity Protection PIN issued for tax year 2016 for you, your spouse, and/or your dependents, if you have been the victim of identity theft with the IRS. Returns filed without will be automatically rejected by the IRS.
- Wage and earnings statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099s, from ALL employers, and/or Social Security benefits statement.
- All Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements or Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if applicable.
- Interest, brokerage, and dividend statement(s) (Form 1099s).
- Form 1098-T Tuition Statement from an eligible education institution, such as a college or university or Form 1098-E Student Loan Interest Statement.
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identification number (provider’s Social Security number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number.
- Any and all expenses (including business expenses) MUST be accompanied by a receipt. Expenses MUST be organized and itemized.
- Any other forms or documents necessary to complete your income tax return.
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check.
- If possible, a copy of last tax year’s federal income and state tax return(s), or copies of IRS transcripts if applicable.